Glass panel

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
cess140
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Glass panel

Post by cess140 »

I am restoring a 1946 cessna 140. The dash panel has been pretty much chopped up over the years and some of the gauges are in tough shape. I will have to replace it with a new one. My question is, I am wondering if I can install a glass panel and get rid of the steam gauges? I know it’s an investment, but I could do some different things with the panel should I decide to go that route.
Name: Andreas Ritter
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: flying and hiking in Europe and South America

Re: Glass panel

Post by 8162 »

Many of the new glas instruments, e. g. the Garmin Gi-275, can probably be installed, because the AML includes the 120/140. The electrical load may be an issue, if too many powerful electronic instruments are installed. And panel space, of course.
eromstadt
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by eromstadt »

Absolutely you can. You'll need the standard 337 forms and whatnot, but it is doable. Are you a member of the 120/140 Facebook groups? There are a few well documented Instrument Panel seaps on there. One member recently put in a 150 panel thT hS significant updates. Mine is butchered as well. I did not go to glass, but I had to pull the panel out and completely redo/repair it and put it back in. Some of the rivets are tough, but its absolutely possible.
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

For those using the original panel's 3.125" holes, keep in mind that some of them near the top may not allow for the depth of a unit like the GI275. I ended up using the G5 for its shallow depth as an example.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Just keep in mind that the panel that runs between the door posts is structural, so, if you start cutting into it you'll have some 'splainin' to do.