Removing rudder cables

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
cess140
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Removing rudder cables

Post by cess140 »

I am new to the form so bear with me. I am restoring a Cessna 140 and trying to remove the rudder cables. Got them unhooked from both ends but I cannot seem to get the cable out from the small holes that are the located in one of the bulkheads under seat area even with the adjusters removed the cable. It will not go through the hole in one of the bulkheads. Am I doing something wrong?
eromstadt
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Removing rudder cables

Post by eromstadt »

You're not doing it wrong, but also not completely done. There are a few pulleys and keepers that are under that seat pan that are stoping you from being able to remove the cables. You can access them through the inspection There is also one fairlead on each side, towards the rear that you'll have to un-safety wire and remove. I'll try to post pictures, but the file sizes may be too big.
cess140
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cess140 »

I removed all the pulleys, but it is getting hung up on a whore in the last bulkhead. Doesn’t seem like the hole is big enough for the adjuster to pass through.
cess140
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cess140 »

Well, eramstadt you were right. After looking at your post, I had to go back in and just take a double check on the pulley situation and I did find one way to the back. After bloody hands, I was able to get it out and now pull the rudder cable all the way out. Thank you for the heads up.
alanbrophy
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by alanbrophy »

Hello.
I am wondering if someone can assist me.....

I have a 1946 Cessna 120 in the UK.
Whilst relocating it by road (very long story) the cables to the tail were cut and this is the issue.
Basically the part causing the issue is a small bicycle chain with two swaged ends onto wires. These are the wires cut short - the bicycle chain part is fine.
The swaged connectors onto the wires are like a small ball joint at one end, and I can't seem to find anywhere that supplies / makes / provides them.
Also, I have no idea which parts catalogue numbers these are, as apparently 1946 doesn't seem to be the parts matched in the catalogue.
Does anyone have a used one for sale? Or if anyone out there has any ideas, please help me, as without this I can't get the aircraft back in the air again.
Alan
alanb@inertiace.com
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Post by 8342 »

Contact McFarlane Aviation Products.
They make the cables that you need.
It sounds like the elevator trim cable has been cut.
You will need to dig into the IPC to get the correct part number.
Figure 48 is where you will need to look.
Good luck changing it out.

Rick
eromstadt
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by eromstadt »

Can you use a nicopress sleeve and splice the cable? Depending on regulations and where the split is, it is permissible here in the U.S. both of my 140's have multiple splices in the elevator trim cable.