Broken aileron pulley bracket, 0411534

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Re: Broken aileron pulley bracket, 0411534

Post by V529 »

rominoff wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:00 pm https://www.ebay.com/itm/174833599053?e ... R-rH2qqXYQ

Perhaps this will work, perhaps not?
Thank you for posting, the brackets from Ebay are located right behind the rear carry through spar. This is the point where the cable exits the fuselage and enters the wing. They won't work for this situation.

The broken bracket in the picture is one of the 4 that are behind the battery box, either at the bottom or the top of the fuselage.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

8475 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:10 pm
V529 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:59 am This is a "somewhat" common failure. Years ago there was an article in the newsletter about this situation.

As you can see the nut fits tightly inside the bracket as it's held to the fuselage. I can't recall, but I believe the concern was the washers sometimes had sharp edges that started a stress line in the bracket. I'll see if I can dig that one up.

I check mine each annual. If you don't mind, can I use your picture(s?) and write an article about it, since it's been years that this was last brought up.
Please do use this picture. I think it's important to document this. And thank you.
Thank you, I will use your picture. I don't have any failed units laying around. I keep many broken parts, (axles, fuel valves etc) to use for mx forums at Oshkosh and the conventions, but haven't seen on one these in so many years...........if you'd like to donate your broken strap, it would go to good use.
Name: Dave Sprinkle
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8475 »

V529 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:51 am
8475 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:10 pm
V529 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:59 am This is a "somewhat" common failure. Years ago there was an article in the newsletter about this situation.

As you can see the nut fits tightly inside the bracket as it's held to the fuselage. I can't recall, but I believe the concern was the washers sometimes had sharp edges that started a stress line in the bracket. I'll see if I can dig that one up.

I check mine each annual. If you don't mind, can I use your picture(s?) and write an article about it, since it's been years that this was last brought up.
Please do use this picture. I think it's important to document this. And thank you.
Thank you, I will use your picture. I don't have any failed units laying around. I keep many broken parts, (axles, fuel valves etc) to use for mx forums at Oshkosh and the conventions, but haven't seen on one these in so many years...........if you'd like to donate your broken strap, it would go to good use.
I'll gladly donate mine, no problem. However, I opened up the bends so that I can reverse-engineer the geometry. (I might need to fabricate replacements.) Send me a PM and we can discuss further.