C140 Pre-buy

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
chrisl108
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

C140 Pre-buy

Post by chrisl108 »

I looked at a '47 C140 today, and have a few concerns. It looked serviceable and like it was being taken care. Ragwing, needs some cosmetic work but flyable. I looked at the rear carry thru, and can't figure out what was done to it. It looks like it had been cleaned with something, and looked pitted. So, maybe it was cleaned and treated at some point? Not sure if that is an acceptable MOC or not? I tried to upload a picture, but can't seem to get it to work. The other issue is the engine, it has ~650 SMOH on it, but the overhaul was done in ~91. So that is a slight concern too, I could get lucky.

I will try and get a picture posted, I know my description is not much to go on, any help would be appreciated.

Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Re: C140 Pre-buy

Post by 8362 »

Don’t know the limits on the carry through spar. My IA had a wing off for a fuel tank repair. Announced he was going to take a look at the spar. I went an hid in the corner of the hanger with my fingers and toes crossed. It was fine, actually looked great.

To me it seems like sellers price a plane on engine time with no consideration for age. If you can’t pull a jug to check fora pitted cam (like I had) I’d budget an overhaul.

Good luck, they are great planes, I love mine.
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Post by 8342 »

You need to look for delamination of the spar carry through. Delamination will be most prevalent at the edges. Especially the forward edge.
If it has been over on its back from a landing mishap, look at the forward spar carry through for being bent.
That is what I found on mine and what ultimately became a ground up restoration. I ended up replacing both of mine for these reasons.

As far as the engine, the Lycomings are more prone to pitted cams than Continentals.
A thurough borescope of the cylinders and inside of block if you can, is recommended.
What are the compressions of the cylinders? Any leakage?
How much has the engine been run recently?

Where are you located?
I would suggest getting a knowledgeable Cessna 140 person to do a prebuy. Preferably an A&P.
It could save you a lot of headaches and money.

Rick
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

chrisl108 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:28 pm I tried to upload a picture, but can't seem to get it to work.
Read this thread. If you still have an issue, send me a private message and I'll help you.
chrisl108
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by chrisl108 »

3936402457955845967 (1).jpg
3936402457955845967 (1).jpg (420.2 KiB) Viewed 777 times
chrisl108
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by chrisl108 »

Thanks for the advice on the picture, resizing the picture worked.

The last annual shows the compressions in the 70s, the logs show that a couple of cylinders have been replaced in the last ten years. This was my initial look, thanks for the info so far. I was planning on a pre-buy, the plane is at York, PA. Any good recommendations for a mechanic in the area?

Plan on our own compression check and borescope. Have a C-85 on a Piet, and have had good luck with it. 800 hrs and one cylinder, so we know a little tiny bit about Continentals, enough to be dangerous.