poly fiber

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
jimmy
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

poly fiber

Post by jimmy »

I am looking for some information on how to repair poly fiber, after gas tank repair. sew it, glue it, or both?
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Re: poly fiber

Post by V529 »

I glued mine. Send me a PM or a phone call may be in order. My left tank sprang a leak............10?? years ago. I'm functional at fabric, but I located a resident pro, it was pretty painless. Matching the paint was harder. You will need a serious overlap since you will be in the prop wash.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: poly fiber

Post by 8224 »

Victor is right about the serious over lap. If the piece over the fuel tank was completely removed and the “patch” is new fabric, the overlap should be 4” minimum. With the Stits process on Polytone, the bond is chemical so be sure to clean the contact surface before applying the PolyTak. If the original finish is Aerothane, the bond is only mechanical so it is very important that the contact surface be roughed up with coarse sandpaper.
Steve Hawley