Excessive charge

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
vfs0302
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Excessive charge

Post by vfs0302 »

I own a 1949 140A with a C95. The last two flights the amp meter has shown excessive charge; over 15 at idle and pegs at full power. Two of the mechanics I work with say it's either a bad battery or a bad regulator. Has anyone experienced this issue, and if so, what was your solution. Thanks to the community.
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Re: Excessive charge

Post by 6298 »

Probably the Regulator with stuck points to the field. Is it a generator or alternator? Unhook the field wire and see if it acts the same.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Name: David Sbur
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture

Post by 6597 »

Mechanical voltage regulator contactors may need a touch up clean every now and then, card stock, fine garnet paper (not wet/dry silicon carbide), business card and alcohol. I have an old one and it is voltage adjustable (see spring tab on pics). Contacts arc and cause pitting which needs to be tended to. My Odyssey battery prefers a slightly higher charge than the electronic VR's can give.

If you don't have a sealed battery may want to check your battery box for boil over and get it cleaned up.

Of course if you have an electronic VR (like a Zeftronics) I can't help you, see Randy above...
Attachments
MEchanicalVR.jpg
MEchanicalVR.jpg (37.74 KiB) Viewed 684 times
Voltageregulatortopview.JPG
Voltageregulatortopview.JPG (53.69 KiB) Viewed 684 times
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Your amp meter, if properly wired, should be showing current into and out of the battery. Excess current into the battery could be an indication of overcharging, but it could also indicate a bad battery. To get a better picture of what is happening, get a voltage reading either at the bus or off the B+ terminal for the generator. Take the battery out, charge it, test the voltage, and have it load tested.

The regulator in Dave's pictures is for an alternator. A generator's regulator will have three sets of contacts. Disconnect the battery before you mess with the contacts.