fuel line leaking

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Alexis
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Licensed Clinical Social Worker
A&P IA

fuel line leaking

Post by 7130 »

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a fuel line start to leak. This one is the RH fuel line PN 0411754 from the fuel selector valve to the first AN fitting. I noticed some staining on the skin below the door this morning when I went to the hangar to start to put it all back together. This was immediately after I had replaced the fuel selector valve (SHA200F202-120). Also curious if anyone has any leads on a replacement. I did pressurize the line once I had it outside the aircraft and the leak is coming from a straight portion of the line on the bottom about 3 inches from the aft end. I haven't cut it open yet as I worry that I may have to use it as a model for a new line.
Name: David Sbur
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture

Re: fuel line leaking

Post by 6597 »

Yes, had 2 lines leak in the past, upper left doorpost and also from the selector to the gascolator. Doorpost line from corrosion in a low spot, selector line from damage due to rubbing of the control column (bad line placement). I found the new lines were easy to fabricate with a simple bender and a Parker flaring tool. Not too difficult. You are correct, use the old line for pattern. Your jiggling of the 75 year old line may have caused it to give up the ghost. Don't ask me how I know...
Last edited by 6597 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Alexis
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Licensed Clinical Social Worker
A&P IA

Post by 7130 »

Thanks! That helps. I had earlier found a steel AN fitting that had some corrosion inside so getting that resolved also had me manipulating that line.
Name: Ray Hunter
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Retired AF, B-17, UH-1, pilot for Yankee Air Museum

Post by 6277 »

I had a line leak in almost the same place. After I fabricated a new line, I cut the old line apart and found a parallel crack around 1/2" long, most likely caused by water freezing then expanding. My 140 was "created" from two accident aircraft and no doubt had sat in the weather for extended periods of time.