Gear leg inspection, cleaning, priming etc.

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Todd
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Aircraft Parts & Salvage, Owner Assisted Aircraft Sales, Flight Club Management.

Gear leg inspection, cleaning, priming etc.

Post by 8024 »

Good afternoon all:

I am looking to see if anyone knows of a good shop(s) that clean, inspect, measure, re-shot peen, and primer Cessna spring landing gear. I have 2 sets of C-140 and a set of C-172 I'd like to get inspected. I heard there was a shop in Minnesota (I'm in Wisconsin) that does this but I haven't found any information. If you could let me know of a shop(s) that do this with name and location (phone number would be great too if you have it), I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if anyone had this done and knows an approximate price, that would be good as well. I run a small salvage business so I have to see if it's cost effective to refurbish prior to sale or sell as is and just offer a refund if they are no good.

Email is best for replies please: smokinrivetairparts@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Todd Littfin
1947 C-140 NC4112N S/N 14025
SLOW restoration in process
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: Gear leg inspection, cleaning, priming etc.

Post by a64pilot »

I’m not sure you would want to re-shot peen them.
It’s my understanding that 140 legs break at the hole the step bolt goes through, cracks start there and propagate.
I think if you want to really ensure good legs that maybe mag particle inspection or eddy current and polish out the holes.
However the crack growth propagation in high strength steel is very rapid, so if you found a crack I think it would be pure luck.
I assume but don’t know that they were only peened on the bottom?
15 years or so ago I just polished out my holes and coated the bolts in Par-Al -Ketone. I believe original steps were riveted on and not bolted?

On edit, we’re they originally Cad plated? I imagine they were and would re-shot peeing remove the Cad plate?
Occupation-Interests: Aircraft Parts & Salvage, Owner Assisted Aircraft Sales, Flight Club Management.

Post by 8024 »

Hi Jody:

Thanks for the information. Yes, I believe they are only shot-peened on the bottom. Mostly looking to just get cleaned up and primed to prevent more rust and degradation on the ones I would like to put up for sale.

I'll do some more digging to see that I can find.

Kind regards,

Todd Littfin
Name: Gregg T
Aircraft Type: 47 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired Aerospace/Defense Engineer

Post by 8102 »

Attached is a excerpt from the Cessna 100 Series 1962 and Prior Maintenance Manual in regards to corrosion control on landing gear.

Gregg
Attachments
Corrosion Control on Landing Gear.pdf
(117.79 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
phil123
Name:
Aircraft Type: C140-O200
Occupation-Interests: aircraft maint. former agpilot- anything GA

Post by phil123 »

You might give these guys a try they would know the proper repair techniques. https://tlgw.aero/landing-gear-reconditioning

Post by 8024 »

Thanks Phil--I will do so--thanks for the lead!
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

Found this interesting video from our friends on the Cessna 170 Forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8e_f6SWdcg
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

6183 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:09 am Found this interesting video from our friends on the Cessna 170 Forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8e_f6SWdcg
Thanks, Mike -- makes it plain and simple that there's no wiggle room if gear leg is "bent". Kinda related...I do recall an early SN 170 that I flew and was always impressed( :o ) with the "flexing" of the gear legs, but they were not bent. After "all of these years" that 170 is still airworthy. I believe those were the same legs that they used on the 120s/140s except for the "step hole". They're well engineered and tough, but a really hard landing(s) and/or cracks @ the step "holes" can make them junk...or worse. Good info.!
Mac
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

The cure for the C170 duck waddle gear is to put early C180 gear on them.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

edidin wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:20 pm The cure for the C170 duck waddle gear is to put early C180 gear on them.
Yep. I understand that the PPonk beef-up kit is a good upgrade, too. Still, it's reassuring that our old gear legs have really stood the test of time, especially when well maintained and not abused (...inadvertedly or on purpose :roll: ). Mac