Uavionix Transponder threshold value

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
mday911
Name:
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests:

Uavionix Transponder threshold value

Post by mday911 »

Hello Eveyone...
I am running the Uavionix Tailbeacon, I am curious what eveyone is using for their "transponder Monitor Threshold" value...you would view this wiht the configuration app and it is located on the advanced page of the configuration app. I do the ADS-B performance report from time to time on the FAA websight and from time to time I do get errors...I am just curious what you all are using for this value...THX.

Mike
N2902N
Name: Josh C
Aircraft Type: 140A
Occupation-Interests: Telecommunications

Re: Uavionix Transponder threshold value

Post by 8413 »

Hi Mike,
I'll see if I can take a look at how mine is set this weekend. I get errors, but they seem to happen more when I'm doing pattern work. I just did a couple hour flight and had a clean report. Maybe being up high for longer periods makes for fewer errors?

I ran a dedicated ground wire to the tailbeacon hoping to have more reliable grounding. I was told by someone that relying on the rudder hinges as a ground path back to the airframe can sometimes cause the unit to reboot if it momentarily loses the ground.
Josh
Name: Josh C
Aircraft Type: 140A
Occupation-Interests: Telecommunications

Post by 8413 »

Mike…mine is set at 35%. Hope that helps.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

I think occasional errors are common.
I know if it’s not working right you will get a letter from the FAA, no letter I wouldn’t worry about it
Name: Dean DeRosia
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6478 »

Mine is also set at 35%. Haven't had any problems.
Dean DeRosia
N81L
1946 Cessna 140
Glendale, AZ KDVT
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

I installed a Tailbeacon in my 140 late 2019 and I couldn’t get any threshold value to consistently work properly. That’s the short answer to your question.

The full story….I had repeated Mode 3a failures which I could not resolve. I got a replacement Tailbeacon from Uavionix. Same issues. Worked with the Uavionix technicians….grounding setup, filter on the generator, threshold settings, warm up times, airports used for the tests…the whole Magilla. I also went to a local Uavionix dealer (rather than just my local A&P) and had them look it over and run ground tests. I don’t know how many test flights I flew…20? 30? Sometimes the flights passed…sometimes not. No one could figure it out. Then I got the dreaded letter from the FAA. Fix it or die.

In the end, I replaced it with a Stratus ESG. They had a trade in special ($1,000 for the Tailbeacon plus $250 for the transponder) which helped take some of the pain out of the process. No problems since.

Anyway, that’s my story. Hope it goes better for you than for me!
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10
Name: John Kliewer
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Post by 6863 »

6930 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:16 am I installed a Tailbeacon in my 140 late 2019 and I couldn’t get any threshold value to consistently work properly. That’s the short answer to your question.

The full story….I had repeated Mode 3a failures which I could not resolve. I got a replacement Tailbeacon from Uavionix. Same issues. Worked with the Uavionix technicians….grounding setup, filter on the generator, threshold settings, warm up times, airports used for the tests…the whole Magilla. I also went to a local Uavionix dealer (rather than just my local A&P) and had them look it over and run ground tests. I don’t know how many test flights I flew…20? 30? Sometimes the flights passed…sometimes not. No one could figure it out. Then I got the dreaded letter from the FAA. Fix it or die.

In the end, I replaced it with a Stratus ESG. They had a trade in special ($1,000 for the Tailbeacon plus $250 for the transponder) which helped take some of the pain out of the process. No problems since.

Breaking my own principle of not going ADS-B I did it anyway because I realized that many pilots no longer look out their windows since they now have an iPad to look at. And I have had the exact same experience with my Skybeacon except that I did not need to go the Stratus route. What made the difference for me is that I rewired my left wing with a twisted wire pair positive and ground. I passed 4 test flights in a row and called it good. Now if the FAA tells me to die, with no need to fly in rule airspace and much less the desire to do so, I'll revert back to what made me happiest anyway - no surveillance of my flying of any kind.
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

6863 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:30 pm
6930 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:16 am I installed a Tailbeacon in my 140 late 2019 and I couldn’t get any threshold value to consistently work properly. That’s the short answer to your question.

Breaking my own principle of not going ADS-B I did it anyway because I realized that many pilots no longer look out their windows since they now have an iPad to look at. And I have had the exact same experience with my Skybeacon except that I did not need to go the Stratus route. What made the difference for me is that I rewired my left wing with a twisted wire pair positive and ground. I passed 4 test flights in a row and called it good. Now if the FAA tells me to die, with no need to fly in rule airspace and much less the desire to do so, I'll revert back to what made me happiest anyway - no surveillance of my flying of any kind.
I love it John! :lol:

As I live within mode C veil near Chicago I had no choice. In the end, I justified the expense with the same "no one is looking out the window" thought process. After the replacement installation and the 20th test flight, I would have tossed in the towel if I could have.

I even tried replacing my Master and Avionic Master switches on the chance they were causing issues. But nope...that wasn't it. Given the fact that the Stratus has worked flawlessly for the past 2-years, I'm thinking it is some weird glitch with the Tailbeacon. It just didn't seem to like the wiring in my airplane for some reason.
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10