Pre-buy inspection mechanic needed

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
engleman
Name:
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Airlines, CFI, Light Sport Repairman-Maintenance, Part-time phrenologist.

Pre-buy inspection mechanic needed

Post by engleman »

I need a mechanic to do a pre-buy inspection in the San Antonio/ Austin area. The A&P listed on the website as residing in Kerrville passed away two years ago, according to his wife. That was an awkward conversation.

In the event I cannot find a 120/140 guy, is there a printable version of 140-specific pre-buy template anywhere on the website? I’ve already compiled the applicable ADs and STCs for the logbook review.

Thanks for your time.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: Pre-buy inspection mechanic needed

Post by a64pilot »

A 140 is a simple machine, not a whole lot to look at.
I would advise you to get an Annual inspection, a reason is there is no such thing as a pre-buy, it can be anything and if they miss a bunch of stuff you have no recourse.
However an Annual is legally defined, it has performance standards, and of course it’s a whole year before you need another one.

Any good IA can render a decent opinion of whether or not the aircraft is worth considering in an hour or two, if it passes the sniff test, then proceed with the annual, if not then pay them what you owe and keep looking.
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

Go to "MY ACCOUNT" then to members page then click to STATES page 28 or so is our TX members some have posted phone numbers all have e-mail just click there name and info will show. Some have city listed They will have a answer for you AP or IA if not message me and i'll get a contact for you. JEFF
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Getting an annual is a great idea as opposed to a pre-buy. That being said, every airplane has its "areas" of special interest or concern.

We just had a Texas owner almost lose his elevators because an AD had been overlooked resulting with heavy spar cracks at the elevator hinges, one hinge broke right off! This AD, to install doublers at the elevator hinges, came out in 1947, the cracks on these elevators have been overlooked by probably decades of annuals(i.e. the cracks didn't develop in the last year) meaning not all "annuals are equal".

So...............Annuals are "subjective". You may want to contact David Lowe out of Kentucky and arrange to have him look at the airplane if you cant' find someone local. Then you would know exactly what you are getting.

Too many times I have airplanes in the shop that didn't get a pre-buy, or too superficial of a brief pre-buy, The items I've seen overlooked over the years, that could cause significant cost or.......... potential flight issues are something I could probably fill a book with.

One thing you could do is print off the Annual/100 hour inspection guide from the members section and take it with you. There are notes at the end covering some of the special interest areas of the aircraft.
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Post by 8342 »

6898 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:13 am Go to "MY ACCOUNT" then to members page then click to STATES page 28 or so is our TX members some have posted phone numbers all have e-mail just click there name and info will show. Some have city listed They will have a answer for you AP or IA if not message me and i'll get a contact for you. JEFF
Another avenue of attack is to log into the Main Cessna 120-140 page, then put your cursor over the "Resources". From the drop down menu click on Mechanics.

Then click on Mechanics list.

Rick
plepley
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by plepley »

I would like to thank everyone for all the great suggestions. I now have someone that can accomplish what I need to have done.

Thanks again to all,

Philip