In search of a 337 for smoke system installation

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
rms4590
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

In search of a 337 for smoke system installation

Post by rms4590 »

Good morning, I’m looking for an approved smoke system 337 to duplicate in my 1946 Cessna 140. If anyone has this information that they are willing to share or sell, please let me know. Thank you!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: In search of a 337 for smoke system installation

Post by 6643 »

Unfortunately, the same question came up two years ago and there was no response then.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1009&p=6683
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: In search of a 337 for smoke system installation

Post by a64pilot »

I think it would be real easy to get approval, just don’t have any of it forward of the firewall, and the hose that is be covered in fire shield. I can’t quote chapt and verse but your not allowed to have flammable fluids not necessary for engine operation forward of the firewall.

We installed them in the crop dusters I used to build, for the S2R-H80 I built our own smoker, all you need is a tank and an RV water pump, small one.
We built turbines and with them there is plenty of heat even at idle, but I don’t know how much smoke a C-85 would make?
Smoke oil is also way overpriced too, all you need is high paraffin oil, apparently concrete form release oil works great.
Crop dusters use a smoker so they can see wind drift and see if their spray is going to drift where it shouldn’t.
You don’t want to defoliate cotton next to a turnip field if the wind is blowing towards the turnips for instance, or any other crop.

Ever seen a Huey smoke bird? They whole tail boom and tail rotor had oil dripping from it, there was a ring mounted just at the exhaust with spray nozzles, made an enormous amount of smoke, you had to see it to believe it.
I thought I could find a video, they used to do a fly by at Ft Rucker during graduation, but I couldn’t
https://essaydocs.org/the-pieces-of-vie ... icing.html