Stromberg stumble, is this normal?

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Dave Sprinkle
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Stromberg stumble, is this normal?

Post by 8475 »

Hello everyone. I'm getting close to flying my 140. It's been down for about 2 years. Couple weekends ago, I started the engine for the first time in 18 months. It had a pretty bad misfire at idle, which I diagnosed to a clogged idle jet in the Stromberg carb. I cleaned out the jet and as a result, it now idles well, without a misfire. However, I've been unable to entirely eliminate a stumble if I open the throttle rapidly from idle. Is this normal? Or should I continue to diagnose other problems?
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Re: Stromberg stumble, is this normal?

Post by 2066 »

Dave, you'll likely get much more expert answers on this...but, that said: As best I can understand, when the Stromberg "transitions" from idle to run, there's a "normal" tendency for hesitation, especially if advancing the throttle rapidly. The fact that there's no accelerator pump may play a role, too. FWIW, mine has had a bit of hesitation similar for almost 38 years, even having had it overhauled a few times. (...good idea to refrain from quick throttle advance on final :shock: ) It's vital to keep it clean, of course, and good for you in finding and correcting the jet obstruction. It may not be related, but does yours have the mixture control set up for functioning? And, just a final thought (opinion) -- the Stromberg is probably the perfect carb for the C85/140. I like anything that reduces "unnecessary" complexities. Mac
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

8475 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:12 am I've been unable to entirely eliminate a stumble if I open the throttle rapidly from idle.
Simple solution: don't do that.

As stated above, the carb doesn't have an accelerator pump. It uses what is called an acceleration well, which temporarily enriches the mixture, but its function is highly dependent on a number of different things, including the restriction of the air filter, the size of the air bleed jets, and the size of the holes in the emulsion tube.

Essentially, it was intended more for constant speed operation, not street racing.

When all is said and done, though, as long as it doesn't stall, it's not worth worrying about.
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

2066 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:53 am Dave, you'll likely get much more expert answers on this...but, that said: As best I can understand, when the Stromberg "transitions" from idle to run, there's a "normal" tendency for hesitation, especially if advancing the throttle rapidly. The fact that there's no accelerator pump may play a role, too. FWIW, mine has had a bit of hesitation similar for almost 38 years, even having had it overhauled a few times. (...good idea to refrain from quick throttle advance on final :shock: ) It's vital to keep it clean, of course, and good for you in finding and correcting the jet obstruction. It may not be related, but does yours have the mixture control set up for functioning? And, just a final thought (opinion) -- the Stromberg is probably the perfect carb for the C85/140. I like anything that reduces "unnecessary" complexities. Mac
Mac,
You hit the answer square on the head. Fifty years ago, a gent in the business told me the same thing, because the unit has no accelerator pump it's common to get a stumble if the throttle is quickly advanced (kind of reminds me of friends operating some early jet engines when the fuel control was your hand or when operating a 5 cylinder Kinner radial, open the throttle too quick and the engine will stumble and hesitate).
Name: Dave Sprinkle
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8475 »

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I'm glad to know this is normal and that I can move on to another item on the Barriers to Flight list. Getting closer!
tonycondon
Name: Tony
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Pilot, CFI, DPE

Post by tonycondon »

slight adjustments to the idle air mixture can help.

variations in fuel specific gravity can also effect this depending on how the float level is set. I had trouble with that last fall when I filled up with about 3/4 auto fuel.
N2395N
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

tonycondon wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:00 pm slight adjustments to the idle air mixture can help.

variations in fuel specific gravity can also effect this depending on how the float level is set. I had trouble with that last fall when I filled up with about 3/4 auto fuel.
Good added point, Tony. I believe the STC may mention this, also (I'm too lazy to look up ;) ). I have had to adjust the idle a bit on those occasions when using mostly auto fuel. I was fortunate for 10 years to hangar/fly out of a small field that had an auto fuel tank/pump -- that made it an easy choice. These days, with added aches and pains of lifting fuel cans + the "safety factor", I find that I use much more 100LL than "car gas"...and, must (reluctantly) admit that the C85 does consistently run/perform better with it.Mac