Float Kit/Float Fittings Cessna 140

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
140oneday
Name: Jay
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests: Hoping to get a 140 on floats.

Float Kit/Float Fittings Cessna 140

Post by 140oneday »

Hello All, I am new to the Association. I am looking to purchase a Cessna 140 here in Canada. The aircraft is in the Canadian Owner Maintenance Category. The plan is to put the aircraft on floats. The particular Cessna 140 I am looking too purchase does NOT have a float kit. I am looking for information on the aircraft fuselage fittings and modifications required to attach the floats. Even if I can get the specific drawings I would be able to have the parts manufactured and installed on the aircraft as it is in the Owner Maintenance Category. Any info would be very much appreciated.
maverick_fa
Name: Mat
Aircraft Type: One Forty 100
Occupation-Interests: Flight Instructor (Aerobatic & ASEL), Avionics, FTI

Re: Float Kit/Float Fittings Cessna 140

Post by maverick_fa »

Hi ''140oneday'',
It's a really nice project that you got.

Please refer to the IPC figure 65 for the internal fitting installation &/or the attached picture in my post.
I believe that the lifting bolts are the same than the L19... to be confirmed.

As you probably know, the external float fitting are EDO components & they are provided with the float (including the pork chops).
So if you are planning to buy a set of float, take the fitting that are coming with it...

There is 2 type of EDO 1650 floats (1847 & 1948)... in other words 2 different type of rigging & external fitting.
One guys from Alaska recommend to use the EDO 1400 instead. He have that setup with a o-200.

There is some DWGs available somewhere but I don't believe it will be enough for the super machining process...

I would recommend to buy a C140 that's already on float if you can. I know one for sale in Quebec.
Plan B is to buy a complete float kit with the float from somebody.
Last resort is machining everything but it's will cost you a lot of money...

I hope this helps!
Attachments
s-l1600 3.jpg
s-l1600 3.jpg (198.41 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (171.14 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
Mat | CSG3
140oneday
Aircraft Type:

Post by 140oneday »

Thanks for the info Maverick. I have been told that unless I can get a float kit like you said it is pretty much impossible to find the required parts. I haven't purchased the aircraft yet as I had hoped to find the required float parts first but its looking more like that won't happen. I did see a Cessna 120 on Kijiji up by Mt Tremblant on floats with an 0290 engine. Maybe I should try and get up that way and have a good look at it. Thanks for the input and info. Cheers
maverick_fa

Post by maverick_fa »

FYI, I got the same idea than you when I bought my C140 in October last year.
Most people aren't welling to remove their float kit from their airplane... this is scary for some of them & it's also time consuming...
I already say a guys that was selling the float in Ottawa but all the external & internal fittings are missing... in worth nothing.

If you find a complete float kit, you can expect to pay around 8k USD. Add the shipping or transport, the taxes if applicable (imported from US), & the installation fees.

The are EXTREMELY rare... that's the problem & the performance of our little C140 with a little 100hp aren't even close to a Piper Cub (on the small engine category).
I personally don't like the super heavy o-290 that can put your CG outside of the flight envelope (too much forward). It's almost the same things with the 235 if you are planning the keep to electrical.

I quickly came to the conclusion that if I want a C140 on float, I'm better to sell mine & buy another one on float.

BTW, I saw few owner maintenance aircraft & I don't know why but they are all poorly maintained aircraft & out of specs (kinda experimental aircraft).
My recommendation is to stay with a certified aircraft & if you decide to move forward with the float mod, please use a really good & skilled certified AME (A&P). I know a good shop near Montreal.
These floats put a lot of stress on the fuselage...
Mat | CSG3
140oneday
Aircraft Type:

Post by 140oneday »

That’s what I have been hearing. I really like the 140 and was hoping it would be much easier to put on floats. I live on a lake North of Toronto so I’d really like something on floats without spending a ton of money. I’m thinking I will have to pass on a 140 on floats as they are just to hard to convert or find.
140oneday
Aircraft Type:

Post by 140oneday »

I also agree, most of the OM aircraft I have seen are in rough shape and neglected although I have come across one or two that are well cared for and well documented.
It all comes down to the owner in the end.
140oneday
Aircraft Type:

Post by 140oneday »

Is the one for sale that you know of a 140 or the 120 near Mt. Tremblant.
maverick_fa

Post by maverick_fa »

140oneday wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:50 pm Is the one for sale that you know of a 140 or the 120 near Mt. Tremblant.
120 with a o-290...
Need to validate if it's a 290 converted from an APU (to be avoided at all cost) or the other 290 (parts are becoming rare)
No electrical (lighter) but metallic wing (heavier)

Here is the link:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-autres/va ... ?undefined

It's located at St-Donat (East of Mont-Tremblant).
Mat | CSG3
lsgoodyear
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by lsgoodyear »

Hey Gang ... So about this float business...1963 Cessna 150C
150/150 mod
David Lowe tailwheel conversion 140 gear and gear box etc.

So with this mod. I'm on the hunt, and have read all of these forums and suggestions and taken into account. The Aircraft is in owner maintenance.... so as long as all STC or approvals are met its kind of a dream. All maintenance has and will continue to meet all criteria, so that's not a concern.

Cessna 140 float attachment drawings to machine my own or, a full set of the float attachment structure parts to install.
Not worried about the cost ha ha ..... this is happening