Don't Buy Univair Tailwheel Springs - January 2022

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
tonycondon
Name: Tony
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Pilot, CFI, DPE

Re: Don't Buy Univair Tailwheel Springs - January 2022

Post by tonycondon »

UPDATE APRIL 2022:

Just got a note from Univair that the new parts (which supposedly fit) are in stock.
N2395N
Name: George D
Aircraft Type: 1946 C-120
Occupation-Interests: Retired airframe structures engineer for the USAF

Post by 8296 »

My question is will putting this spring on the aircraft set up the potential for tail shimmy? The wheel will now be in "trail' so to speak. Isn't this what you do not want to happen? I thought the swivel axis should point slightly forward to stop this problem. Simon in New Zealand says his aircraft does not shimmy with a zero bend spring. I know there is another index topic discussing this subject but I asked this same question last year stating that the(my) aircraft had extenders and got no reply.

My aircraft is a 1946 C120 with wheel extenders. Eventually I went from a Maule pnuematic to a Scott 3200 because all the talk back years ago was this would cure the shimmy issue. It did not. Could some one point me to the Forum discussion that will help me pick the correct tail spring for an aircraft of my configuration?
Name: George D
Aircraft Type: 1946 C-120
Occupation-Interests: Retired airframe structures engineer for the USAF

Post by 8296 »

I guess I need to go to the late vs early tailwheel discussion. Sorry for not taking a longer look at the forum thread titles before posting.