Carb Airbox

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
cdoughty
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Carb Airbox

Post by cdoughty »

My carb heat is starting to stick sometimes and need wiggling to get it to open or close and the shaft looks to be wearing.

Looking for experiences with the shaft repair kits and/or the Cessna 150 boxes sold by ACS. Or any other bright ideas.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Re: Carb Airbox

Post by 2066 »

The "repair kit" worked well on my old one -- old friend Tom Julian used it to "refurbish" 13 years + ago and it's still as good as new (...well, almost ;) ). The Spruce box looks good in their pics and will apparently fit and function OK...but, the few reviews there mentioning "thin(er)" material & flapper attach by this mfgr. are of concern. And, of course, the ACS unit is apparently not "certified". Ebay is always a crap-shoot...but, they do show up there from time to time. The ACS kit is prob over $100 bucks, so factor that and labor in...but, if yours is repairable, that may be the best "comfortable" option.

Mac
cdoughty
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cdoughty »

Yeah I saw those reviews and had some worries. Was pondering whether I could use the owner-produced part (where I do dimensional QC comparison and modify for my front support bracket) or try to use the "antique, no part exists" rule (which may not be true either)--but I haven't run either of these by A&P yet. Thought I'd try to figure out if the AS&S one was ok or not first.

Chris
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

Here's a link to the Mcfarlane repair kit -- it's $108.00: https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/produ ... ct/FG-100/

There's downloadable instructions for the repair @ their website, too, that you might take a look at and share with your A & P. ...requires some brazing and/or skilled welding, of course but seems straightforward. Theirs is STC'd. It all depends on the current condition of your box, of course -- if it's really worn and cracked(?), you may want a new(er). With the ice-producing possibilities of the carbs on our little Continentals, it's important to have the heat working well/not "creeping", I know we agree.

Mac