Fitting a 6'2" pilot into a 140 - feasible?

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Fitting a 6'2" pilot into a 140 - feasible?

Post by nm taildragger »

I reside in Albuquerque and am considering a 140. I've done a fair amount of browsing on this website and research on these planes, but can't seem to find solid information on whether a pilot like me, 6'2", 34" inseam, about 178 lbs., can fit in a 140. The few references I've found seem all over the chart.

I understand that the cockpit width inside is about 37", but what about definitive headroom and legroom measurements? That is, from seat cushion to cockpit ceiling, and from seat back to rudder pedals?

Also: is it true that the L/H window opens, or is that an option some people have added? On balmy days, that would make things a bit more comfortable shoulder room-wise.

Unfortunately, the Association has no NM representative (one of a few states that does not), and I do not know anyone who owns a 140 out here, so I can't easily go ask someone to let me climb in and size up how it feels.

My Dad lives in west Texas (Alpine), which would be a regular destination for me (nice long runway, and same situation here at Double Eagle, so no problem with the 140's l-o-n-g high density altitude takeoff). So, I would love it if someone between here and there would let me sit in their bird. But barring that, I would greatly appreciate learning whether any members of my height currently own and regularly fly a 140, and if someone could provide good headroom and legroom measurements.

Thanks very much!
“Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself.” —Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Name: Ray Hunter
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Retired AF, B-17, UH-1, pilot for Yankee Air Museum

Re: Fitting a 6'2" pilot into a 140 - feasible?

Post by 6277 »

You should fit nicely. There must be someone close by that would allow you to try their bird on for size.
hotrodmac
Name: Lance B
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Information Technology

Post by hotrodmac »

My dad s 6’2” and about 200, I’ve taken him on a few short flights. I’m 5’7” and about 170. I think the only reason our shoulders don’t touch is that I have 150 seats and was slid forward of him. He was definitely all the way back, and it looked like a struggle for him to keep his feet off the pedals during taxi/takeoff/landing. I’ve not flown a 140 with the original seat back, but if you can recline it all the way you should be ok. At your size, it will definitely be a 1.5 person airplane most of the time.
'46 C140 - Flying
Kitfox SS7 - Building
cdoughty
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cdoughty »

I'm 6 ft, 165. Full rudder is leg fully extended. Seat back full back at the bottom adjustment and one slot forward in top adjustment. I have the original and now almost certainly compressed bottom cushions that sit directly in the pans. Eye level is a little below bottom of wing root.

There are at least three common seats and I would guess the differences matter to you. The cushion in pans style, the bottom frame style, and the C-150 seat upgrade. I would guess but dont know, that the height is in that order. Legroom dont know, perhaps you can slide the C150 seats further back?

Whoever is in the other seat you need to be on good terms with them!!!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

I understand the C150 seats do not buy you any leg room, and they do put your head up higher.
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

Well, thank you all for the responses. Very helpful.

I did some more hunting around and found an article written by the owner shown in these photos, who says he is 6'2" which is my height, but 240 lbs (so significantly broader than I). He loves his 140. He mentions taking an 8-hour XC flight in it, which is similar to the trip to Alpine I'm looking at taking regularly to see my father (though that's driving time), and he said he was actually comfortable.

The second shot of him flying looks like he's hunched over, but I'm guessing that's him leaning forward to look up through the windshield for the photo...? The final image of the cockpit shows headroom that, frankly, looks ample--though I guess the scale of the seats, etc., could be deceiving...

As for sitting in a plane, perhaps the thing to do is post a request in another area of the forum, stating my location and willingness to travel [x] miles to the nearest 140 owner? If that's a good idea, anyone know which part of the forum would be best?
LorenMayandHis140.jpeg
LorenMayandHis140.jpeg (242.29 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
Cessna140InFlight.jpeg
Cessna140InFlight.jpeg (153.57 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
C140Cockpit.jpeg
C140Cockpit.jpeg (259.66 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
hotrodmac

Post by hotrodmac »

6643 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:16 am I understand the C150 seats do not buy you any leg room, and they do put your head up higher.
My 150 seats have the hight adjuster crank and will recline a bit too. I fly with the seats lowered as far as they'll go. That recline really helps for the taller folks.
'46 C140 - Flying
Kitfox SS7 - Building
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

hotrodmac wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:01 pm
6643 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:16 am I understand the C150 seats do not buy you any leg room, and they do put your head up higher.
My 150 seats have the hight adjuster crank and will recline a bit too. I fly with the seats lowered as far as they'll go. That recline really helps for the taller folks.
That sounds like a cool option. I don't suppose there's any way you could take a steel tape measure and let me know two dimensions? That would be enormously helpful. They are:

- distance from platform on which the seats mount to inside of roof (so, I guess to headliner/skylights);
- same, but from top of 150 seat cushion (though I guess it compresses somewhat when you sit on it).

Also, any chance you could post a photo or two showing your upgraded seats? I'd be curious to get a sense of where one's head ends up vis-a-vis where the roof begins to taper down at the rear into the fuselage, since I assume when the seats reclined that shifts your noggin' back that direction...?

Thank you!
hotrodmac

Post by hotrodmac »

I’ll try to get to the airport today and let you know.
'46 C140 - Flying
Kitfox SS7 - Building
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

nm taildragger wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:57 pm As for sitting in a plane, perhaps the thing to do is post a request in another area of the forum, stating my location and willingness to travel [x] miles to the nearest 140 owner? If that's a good idea, anyone know which part of the forum would be best?
I would post it in the pilot lounge section, although my guess is anyone who will see it there would also see it here.

A better tact might be to look through the member's directory and reach out to members near you to see if anyone is willing to give you a tour.