Fitting a 6'2" pilot into a 140 - feasible?

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
hotrodmac
Name: Lance B
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Information Technology

Re: Fitting a 6'2" pilot into a 140 - feasible?

Post by hotrodmac »

nm taildragger wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:17 pm
hotrodmac wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:01 pm
6643 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:16 am I understand the C150 seats do not buy you any leg room, and they do put your head up higher.
My 150 seats have the hight adjuster crank and will recline a bit too. I fly with the seats lowered as far as they'll go. That recline really helps for the taller folks.
That sounds like a cool option. I don't suppose there's any way you could take a steel tape measure and let me know two dimensions? That would be enormously helpful. They are:

- distance from platform on which the seats mount to inside of roof (so, I guess to headliner/skylights);
- same, but from top of 150 seat cushion (though I guess it compresses somewhat when you sit on it).

Also, any chance you could post a photo or two showing your upgraded seats? I'd be curious to get a sense of where one's head ends up vis-a-vis where the roof begins to taper down at the rear into the fuselage, since I assume when the seats reclined that shifts your noggin' back that direction...?

Thank you!

Here's what I've got. All measurements are with the seat slid all the way back. Also, assume a little bit of fudge factor on the numbers

Top of seat rail to skylight: 39.5 inches
Seat cushion to skylight 34.75 inches
Top of set cushion to floor: 6.5 inches
Incline will move the top of the seat-back rearward 3"

Cranking the seat hight all the way up moves the top of the cushion up 3" and forward 2"

Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/tHF2ks0
'46 C140 - Flying
Kitfox SS7 - Building
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

6643 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:59 am
nm taildragger wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:57 pm As for sitting in a plane, perhaps the thing to do is post a request in another area of the forum, stating my location and willingness to travel [x] miles to the nearest 140 owner? If that's a good idea, anyone know which part of the forum would be best?
I would post it in the pilot lounge section, although my guess is anyone who will see it there would also see it here.

A better tact might be to look through the member's directory and reach out to members near you to see if anyone is willing to give you a tour.
Thanks for this. I posted in the pilot lounge section, but no takers as of yet. I will try your second method - much appreciated.
“Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself.” —Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

hotrodmac wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:01 pm
Here's what I've got. All measurements are with the seat slid all the way back. Also, assume a little bit of fudge factor on the numbers

Top of seat rail to skylight: 39.5 inches
Seat cushion to skylight 34.75 inches
Top of set cushion to floor: 6.5 inches
Incline will move the top of the seat-back rearward 3"

Cranking the seat hight all the way up moves the top of the cushion up 3" and forward 2"

Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/tHF2ks0
This is great; I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to do this.

So, looks like I need right around 35" of headroom if I sit bolt upright, so assuming a bit of compression in the 150 seat cushion, I should just slip in. Starting to sound sort of like the way I fit in the '67 MG Midget I drove for years. My noggin was just under one of the convertible top's steel bows, and though anything but a baseball cap was out of the question, I didn' t contact the bow on the dirt road to my house from the highway. Probably a bit less elbow and shoulder room, but there ain't much in a Midget.

Any feeling of claustrophobia seems unlikely, as one doesn't have massive SUVs and semis roaring past a couple of feet on either side, and the windshield in the Midget was just beyond your knuckles on the steering wheel. With the 140, the arc of the windshield would actually net a comparative feeling of spaciousness, at least in that dimension.

BTW, I don't know if I've seen many 140s tidier inside than yours. I'd be curious to see your dash setup, if I'm not prying too much.

Regardless, I can't thank you enough. I'm still going to try and find someone within a day's drive that would let me clamber in and sit there for a while, but this really helps. I'm starting to allow myself to get excited about owning one of these cool little planes.

My local community college has a really inexpensive FAA approved A&P program ($13,158 total costs) that's just two semesters and a summer, so I'm thinking about taking that, as it'd soon pay for itself in annuals and performing and signing off on whatever restoration and maintenance my plane might need. The CFR doesn't have any hourly requirement to stay certified; all you have to do is work as an A&P for 6 months during each 2 year period, and working on one's own plane qualifies. :D
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

nm taildragger wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:21 pm I'd be curious to see your dash setup,
The MG hs a dash. The 140 has a panel. ;)
FAA approved A&P program ($13,158 total costs) that's just two semesters and a summer,
Are you sure about that? I worked for a part 147 school and it was 5 semesters. Granted, it also got you an Associate's degree, but the hours were pretty long even with out the core courses. To pass general, airframe and powerplant requires 1900 hours of instruction/lab time. That's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 48 weeks.
hotrodmac
Name: Lance B
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Information Technology

Post by hotrodmac »

6643 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:48 pm
nm taildragger wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:21 pm I'd be curious to see your dash setup,
I have a few hours in a 74 MGB, that’s the truth! :lol:

Glad to to help! I hope you can find one to sit in. Each airplane is a little different, and you may find you fit better in on than another.

I’ve added a couple panel pics to the Imgur link. First is when I bought it, and 2nd is after I replaced the vacuum Turn and Bank with an uAvionix AV-30. I’ve also replaced the KT76A transponder with a Stratus ESG.

https://imgur.com/a/tHF2ks0
'46 C140 - Flying
Kitfox SS7 - Building
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

6643 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:16 am I understand the C150 seats do not buy you any leg room, and they do put your head up higher.
I can attest to the truth of that statement, more than once while on power line patrol my head collided with the cabin roof during gusty conditions. Although some folks say 150 seats are more comfortable, I personally don't find much difference in the comfort level if the original type seats are properly maintained, and the seat springs aren't broken or sagging. At 5'10" I still flew with the 150 seat all the way back in the 140A that I used to fly line patrol with. As John mentioned 150 type seats do put an individual up higher in the cockpit than the original type seating.
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

FAA approved A&P program ($13,158 total costs) that's just two semesters and a summer,
Are you sure about that? I worked for a part 147 school and it was 5 semesters. Granted, it also got you an Associate's degree, but the hours were pretty long even with out the core courses. To pass general, airframe and powerplant requires 1900 hours of instruction/lab time. That's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 48 weeks.
You know, I was looking at the powerplant component, and didn't realize that the airframe component is another two semesters. That's 86 units or an associate of arts program for both A&P. You're absolutely right--I am looking forward to five semesters, not two plus a summer term. Still the way I want to go, however, as I don't like the idea of anyone else working on my plane. 8-)
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

6183 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:06 pm
I can attest to the truth of that statement, more than once while on power line patrol my head collided with the cabin roof during gusty conditions. Although some folks say 150 seats are more comfortable, I personally don't find much difference in the comfort level if the original type seats are properly maintained, and the seat springs aren't broken or sagging. At 5'10" I still flew with the 150 seat all the way back in the 140A that I used to fly line patrol with. As John mentioned 150 type seats do put an individual up higher in the cockpit than the original type seating.
Well, I'd certainly want stock seats then, because I don't want my noggin to contact the cabin roof! Thanks for weighing in.
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

hotrodmac wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:03 pm
I have a few hours in a 74 MGB, that’s the truth! :lol:

Glad to to help! I hope you can find one to sit in. Each airplane is a little different, and you may find you fit better in on than another.

I’ve added a couple panel pics to the Imgur link. First is when I bought it, and 2nd is after I replaced the vacuum Turn and Bank with an uAvionix AV-30. I’ve also replaced the KT76A transponder with a Stratus ESG.

https://imgur.com/a/tHF2ks0
Thanks for these. Nice-looking... um, panel. :D

Yeah, that MGB is a limousine compared to my '67 Midget.

Well, the search continues. I've seen a few but they're a bit rich for my blood. We'll see if anyone responds to my missive in another thread.

Incidentally, I didn't know about this safety bulletin on the aluminum seat belt brackets mentioned at the end of this crash report: https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repo ... P0071.html. You might check it out if not already familiar.
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

So, I located a guy who's selling a plane I might be interested in that's within an easy day's drive. If work lets up and he doesn't sell it by then, I'll drive over and check it out. He said he'd deliver it to ABQ as part of the deal, which is handy because I do not yet have the tailwheel endorsement, so I could save money getting checked out in my own plane.

In addition to various positive things about its condition--and metal wings, as it'll be tied down outside until my spot on the wait list comes up (could be quite a while)--I really like that it has the auto gas STC; he has never any plug lead-fouling issues or the need to clean them. Plus it's cheaper. Just gotta keep the gas running through the carb and tanks regularly, as I understand it's a bit more likely to import moisture than Avgas.

Also, the owner is 6'3" (I'm actually between 6'2" and 6'3" but tend to round down rather than up) and weighs 220, so 40 lbs more than I do. His plane has stock 140 seats (new foam and covers), and he says he can put his fist between the crown of his head and the roof when sitting upright. He keeps the seat in its rearmost notches to fit with reasonable comfort. Based on that info, I don't think I'd have any issues physically fitting in the airplane.