PTT for the pretzel yokes

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
majourlittle
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

PTT for the pretzel yokes

Post by majourlittle »

The previous caretaker of my 140 installed the pretzel style yokes and had made some nice PTT mounts that clamped to the yoke shaft and stuck out so that you could push the PTT with your non throttle hand. When my CFI got in the plane the first time, he broke one of them!

I decided that I really like the position of them but am not much of a woodworker and felt that a few things needed to be updated with the design. I created some new ones in CAD and 3D printed them to match the style of the fabricated ones, but are now much sturdier, thinner and dont slip around on the yoke shaft.

I would love to see how some of you mounted the PTT on your pretzel yokes.
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: PTT for the pretzel yokes

Post by nm taildragger »

majourlittle wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:15 pm The previous caretaker of my 140 installed the pretzel style yokes and had made some nice PTT mounts that clamped to the yoke shaft and stuck out so that you could push the PTT with your non throttle hand. When my CFI got in the plane the first time, he broke one of them!

I decided that I really like the position of them but am not much of a woodworker and felt that a few things needed to be updated with the design. I created some new ones in CAD and 3D printed them to match the style of the fabricated ones, but are now much sturdier, thinner and dont slip around on the yoke shaft.
That's nice work. How about a shot or two of the attachment?

Joel
“Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself.” —Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
jimmie
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by jimmie »

You have done a Great Job. Just bought a 46-140 with the sorry PTB anywhere you place it would be an improvement. I would prefer inside lower center as you fly with left hand. Please put my name in for two. Keep up the good work.
Jimmie
majourlittle
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by majourlittle »

I don't have any good shots of the back, but I do have a shot of the model. The whole assembly is pinned together with two screws and imbedded nuts and the wires for the PTT stick through the little hole and go inside the pretzel yoke.
Not sure if they would be a big hit or not, but it would be around $50 ea + shipping If I were to do a batch run of these. Not terribly cost effective.

PTT Model.jpg
PTT Model.jpg (53.73 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

Would you be willing to share the model? I believe it could be 3D printed. I'd be happy to share a print or two in return. What PTT switch is used in the assembly?

I was in the process of designing a 3D printed mount to replace the ugly ones in my plane, but this is nicer.
majourlittle
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by majourlittle »

You can see in my previous post that these are 3d Printed and that I have a calculated cost associated if you are interested in them!
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

Are they metal 3D printed then?
majourlittle
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by majourlittle »

No, metal printing would make them $250 ea.
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

Thanks. This is similar to something was working on, thought you'd found a really cheap way to metal 3D print!
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

PLA printed design of PTT switch on pretzel yoke.
PTT Front View.jpg
PTT Front View.jpg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 2018 times