Wing Recover and Drain Holes

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
stanleykirk
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Wing Recover and Drain Holes

Post by stanleykirk »

I am currently in the process of recovering the wings on my son's 1946 140. When we removed the fuel tank we discovered about 20 (5 along each support) small holes along the fuel tank support braces. There were no holes in the fabric on the bottom side of either wing indicating that they were/are suppose to be drain holes.

Has anyone seen these holes in the fabric of your 120/140 under the fuel tank or had any experience with this??
Name: Huey Pilot
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Wing Recover and Drain Holes

Post by 2356 »

Fabric clip holes?
stanleykirk
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by stanleykirk »

I don't think so...oriented along the span of the wing and too far apart...but thanks for tryin'!!!
stanleykirk
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by stanleykirk »

Actually Huey Pilot...I was wrong about the holes...they do look like clip holes, however they are 1 1/8th inches apart and the other clip holes are 1 3/8th inches apart. I have been unable to find anything that indicates Cessna had two size fabric clips. I anyone knows differently...please enlighten me!!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Here are the pictures. I have no idea! Anyone?
IMG_8190.jpg
IMG_8190.jpg (73.21 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
IMG_8192.jpg
IMG_8192.jpg (34.75 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6468 »

Sometimes in the assembly/fabrication process (at the factory) it is not uncommon to use a small punch die jig to temporally stake (hold/position) two pieces of sheet metal during the spot weld process. If the staking holes are in a benign location you just leave them, in this case they'll be covered with fabric and posse no structural issues. Given the uniform spacing from row to row my bet is on the holding fixture. Still ... just a guess
Jim S
stanleykirk
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by stanleykirk »

Thanks...Sounds plausible too me!! Our main concern is if water does intrude the fuel bay could it pose a problem of water getting between the fabric and the bottom of the fuel bay and create a corrosion issue? Just spit ballin' here...and wondering out loud.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6468 »

On my aircraft I have 2 small holes in the back corner of each tank bay (about 1/4" dia.) They appear to be approx. 1/2 " away from spar & ribs. When covering I placed the plastic drain in line with the holes. Used the seaplane style all the way out to the ailerons then transitioned to the flat inserts. Suppose there could be a little moisture trapped along that last 1/2 " against the spar. FWIW the seaplane design by it's shape is suppose to siphon out the moisture, not just let it drop by gravity, course you need to be moving & there has to be an air inlet somewhere, in theory. Good luck
Jim S
stanleykirk
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by stanleykirk »

thanks Jim…i am familiar with those holes and we are planning on using the seaplane grommets as well. I think the holes we are seeing may be “alignment holes” as mentioned in the above post. they are quite small and probably won’t creat much of an issue, we shall press on with the project