Sticking Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: John P
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Sticking Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Post by 7313 »

Ever since the overhaul on my C85-F about 30 hours back I have a recurring problem with what seems to be a sticking oil pressure relief valve. My normal operating oil pressure is fine, well within all limits, startup and cruise. On several occasions however, I have experienced low pressure, about 30 in cruise, 10 on descent, ZERO at idle. The solution is to remove the pressure relief valve acorn nut and piston, clean the valve seats and reassemble (nearly impossible with my old fingers!) After this procedure on next startup the pressure is right up in the 30 to 60 range, slightly lower after warmup. That is what I expect as normal.

These episodes come on suddenly, and seemingly randomly. I have already replaced the spring with a brand new one. The valve faces were lapped at the overhaul. At first I thought there must be some tiny pieces of debris blocking complete valve closure, but it keeps happening. Now wondering if there is a burr or something on the piston.

At my wits end, looking for suggestions. Anyone else experienced anything like this?
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Re: Sticking Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Post by 6298 »

It could be something blocking the line or fitting going to the pressure gauge. I have unhooked the line at the gage, started the engine let the oil dribble in to a paper cup. When the oil starts looking like that in the oil sump hook the like back up to the gauge and see what happens.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Name: John P
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Oil Pressure Relief Valve Plunger - Not all created equal!

Post by 7313 »

Enough time has gone by that I feel reasonably confident in presenting a follow-up post regarding my earlier oil pressure problems.

In desperation I ordered a used plunger, Part Number 21114, from - you guessed it - eBay. When it arrived I discovered that it was significantly longer than the original plunger. I installed it with the standard (new) spring and my oil pressure has been steady in the 50 -60 psi range ever since.

I believe that the original shorter version was prone to sticking open, and at some point Continental changed to the longer design to address this problem, without changing the part number.
Attachments
IMG_1885.jpg
IMG_1885.jpg (298.38 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
phil123
Name:
Aircraft Type: C140-O200
Occupation-Interests: aircraft maint. former agpilot- anything GA

Re: Sticking Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Post by phil123 »

Thanks for the info.