Tire Ply Question

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: Tire Ply Question

Post by a64pilot »

I’m running 10 ply 600-6 on mine.
They are tailwheel tires meant for a large Crop Duster, they are somewhat heavier but work fine, interestingly it seems they require more air pressure to “look right” I would have thought due to being so stiff they would have required less.
Iwouldn’t have bought them but they were free so I put them on, my airplane came with 800’s that I didn’t want on. They. gather dust in the hanger now.
dliptrap
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by dliptrap »

Interesting!
VIP645
Name: Earl E
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by VIP645 »

Years ago I contacted Cessna about why the TC on the Cessna 120/140 called for the 4 ply tires. I asked if 6 ply could be used. I was told that the side wall on the 6 ply was stiffer thus the 6 ply would cause a side load on the axle, bolts and landing gear. Being an IA when I do an annual on a Cessna 120/140 if I see 6 ply tires they come off and 4 ply are installed. I have not seen a STC or field approval for 6 ply tires. I have not tried to buy any 4 ply tires yet but if they are in short supply that is a problem. It might be a good time to contact Cessna to see what they say.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

I’d bet lunch Cessna speced 4 ply as that’s all it needs, any more is just a waste of money and weight.
I’ve got a second set, that will go on my Mooney mains, this annual,I can’t imagine a higher ply rating would hurt anything. It’s like using an NAS bolt in place of an AN bolt, the stronger strength isn’t needed but doesn’t hurt.

Weight and stress wise etc a higher ply tire is nothing compared to bush wheels.
phil123
Name:
Aircraft Type: C140-O200
Occupation-Interests: aircraft maint. former agpilot- anything GA

Post by phil123 »

6 ply tires on a 120/140 would be a minor alteration thus a log book entry only requirement also a good tire for tread longevity that I would recommend would be Wilkerson retreads they have the best rubber compound for wear that I have seen so far.