Door window replacement

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Blasting people into the sky with rockets.

Door window replacement

Post by 8170 »

So, I broke my pilot's side door window in a bonehead move and need to replace it. Has anyone made their own and if so what is a good source for the material? I mic'd mine and its .050. Most things I have seen call for somewhere ~.080 Thoughts?
"Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem"
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: Door window replacement

Post by a64pilot »

I replaced both of mine, dead easy, I believe i used a router with a tracer bit. I used acrylic we had at the plant, but am 99% sure you can get it at home depot or Lowe’s.
I cut holes for snap vents with a hole saw, play with some scrap pieces to cut the hole. I had to reduce the diameter of the hole saw by a few thou for a tight fit, I used a file to file the teeth down by chucking it in a drill press and pressing the file against it.

If you want grey tint you can order that on line I’m sure.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/snapvents2.php
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 8424 »

Hi Joe.

I just replaced the right door window. I considered making my own and it wouldn't have been difficult. I bought mine (.080) from Great Lakes Aero. The rubber channel around the window was old and brittle. Great Lakes sells the channel if you find yours is needing to be replaced. You will need 7 ft. I used soft rivets (with my IA's blessing) to reassemble the frame, using a hand squeezer.

The window and channel were delivered in about 5 days. It was rather pricey at $128.61 delivered. I could have saved some money buying the window elsewhere, but it was nice to get the rubber channel from the same vendor.

The Great Lakes window and channel is FAA/PMA approved and they provide paperwork for the logbook. Maybe all the window vendors do this.

Hope this helps.

Steve A H
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

I used counter sunk screws and self locking nuts
Attachments
676876D1-BD9F-42FE-9868-B7F711FE3831.jpeg
676876D1-BD9F-42FE-9868-B7F711FE3831.jpeg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Blasting people into the sky with rockets.

Post by 8170 »

Thanks everyone. My frame is held in with cs screws everywhere except where the window latch is. I think I will go ahead and fabricate a new window myself. I have to make windows for my patroller door project so this will be good practice.
"Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem"