Aileron rod ends

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Blasting people into the sky with rockets.

Aileron rod ends

Post by 8170 »

Doing the annual on my 46 140 and the aileron rod ends have a little bit of radial play. I want to replace them but the P/N in the parts book and what Spruce has listed is different. Anyone know a good source for the correct rod end. Spruce has FL34-14M listed
"Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem"
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Aileron rod ends

Post by 6643 »

F34-14(M) is the correct part. ("M" means the part has been magnafluxed.) FL34-14 has a left hand thread. Not what you want.

Ask your IA if he'll accept the Aurora equivalent, GMW-3M-470. It's also used in aircraft and is a lot cheaper.

Post by 8170 »

Thanks John. I am the IA so that simplifies it a bit. I was just confused about what the parts book showed and what spruce had listed. I didn't see a cross reference to F34-14M for GMW-3M-470
"Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem"

Post by 6643 »

8170 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:28 pm I didn't see a cross reference to F34-14M for GMW-3M-470
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... earfem.php

Post by 8170 »

Thanks John, must be having a brain fart kinda day. Appreciate it.

Post by 6643 »

Nah, I couldn't find it at first, either.

Ercoupes use the male version (about 14 of them) and Univair (the type certificate holder) has switched to Aurora equivalents.

Post by 8170 »

Thanks again. Just went through and checked all mine on the annual and think I will go ahead and replace the ones that attach directly to the ailerons as they are the only ones that seem to have play.

On another note, have you ever seen the cables that go out to the wing hitting the through hole? I never noticed this before this annual. Not sure if the skin was replaced at some point and the hole wasn't made large enough. The cable has no damage and oddly enough the hole isn't worn where the cable touches. Only on the left wing. I am going to check the cable tension next time I am at the hangar and also make sure something isn't funky with the pulley just inside the hole. Airplane flies great so I don't suspect a rigging issue, just seems odd. I did just move the airplane from AZ where it spent its entire life to LA.

Post by 6643 »

No, I have not seen the cable touching the skin there. Those pulleys are sort of suspended in space. I'd look closely at their attachment.

Post by 8170 »

Where is the best place to check the tensions? I usually do it behind the baggage compartment where they cross.

Post by 8170 »

Ok figured out why the cable was contacting the through hole in the fuselage. The bracket that hold the pulley wasn't loose but it had rotated enough for the cable to touch the opening. I repositioned it and torqued the screw down and problem solved. Checked the tension behind the bulkhead and in a few other spots and was in limits. Now to order and replace the rod ends and button her up.