Cessna 120 without electric system?

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
gryph0n
Name: Steve S
Aircraft Type: 1948 C-140 O200
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Cessna 120 without electric system?

Post by gryph0n »

8348 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:27 pm 14 CFR 91.225(e)
"The requirements of paragraph (b) of this section do not apply to any aircraft not originally certificated with an electrical system, or that has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed"...
As a former Cub owner, I did some research on ADSB rule airspace a few years ago. Basically, 91.225e says that if your aircraft has never been certificated with an electrical system, you can fly in the mode C veil and you can fly above 10,000' msl without ADSB.
That's about it though; similar to other non-equipped aircraft, you still can't fly in class A, and you can't fly in or above class B or C.

You can can fly in class D if you have a standalone radio that is sufficient to make the initial 5-7 mile call to the tower. I tried it once in the Cub with a handheld radio, but couldn't get a response.
Last edited by gryph0n on Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
gryph0n
Name: Steve S
Aircraft Type: 1948 C-140 O200
Occupation-Interests:

Post by gryph0n »

To reply to the original post, my "dream" aircraft would have been a non electrical cessna 120, with fabric wings and an O-200. Elegant flying at is best, and no superflous weight. I couldn't find this unicorn when I did my search a couple years ago.
riedener
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by riedener »

Hi,

I'd like to fly it. Bonus points if it has a wood prop!

My "other" airplane is a 1941 Interstate Cadet w/ C75-8 (non electric).

I believe I'm exempt from ADSB - just like a non electric glider. I use a hand held radio and paper sectionals.

I love flying low and slow. I have no reason to go into anything other than Delta airspace.

I flew a 1938 J-3 Cub before the Cadet. If I hadn't done that - I wouldn't know what I was getting into, or what I was missing.

Having said all that - I'm 56 years old. Not sure how much longer the romance will last.

Chris