Fire extinguisher?

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
n9418a
Name: Chuck
Aircraft Type: C-140A
Occupation-Interests: Fly4Fun!
Otherwise, retired IT.

Fire extinguisher?

Post by n9418a »

Hi folks;
Anyone have a fire extinguisher in their 140? If so, what type / brand / size, and where do you have it mounted?
I'm thinking of a small halon extinguisher for my 140 . . . trying to make a decision!

Thanks for any info . . . much appreciated!

Chuck
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: Fire extinguisher?

Post by a64pilot »

This is where mine is, my poor girl doesn’t have an interior so forgive her that.
Many mount them just in front of the seat bottom, but wherever you mount it, in my opinion it ought to be able to be gotten to while your flying.
Yes definitely Halon, discharge a dry chemical one and beside doing a lot of damage, it will also make you blind and unable to breathe without coughing.
I think a dry chemical discharge in the cockpit while your flying could result in a crash.

Where mine is mounted, there is a pre existing hole that I used to mount it. I don’t like drilling holes if I can help it.
Attachments
E6B6AD86-C28D-4CFC-832E-BC614303EEED.jpeg
E6B6AD86-C28D-4CFC-832E-BC614303EEED.jpeg (79.45 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
a64pilot

Post by a64pilot »

This is mine, there are others of course.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ta1200.php

On edit, it’s a blend of 1211 and 1301. One is a gas and I think may be best for fuel vapor etc, but the other is a liquid and may be best because it’s a wetting agent and while the gas may put a fire out, I want to think the wetting halon may help prevent it from reigniting.
I don’t remember which is which, but I bet Google knows.

another edit, I had Halon on our boat, but also “Halotron” which I think is almost as good, and a whole lot cheaper. So if Halon is just too expensive,I’d rather have halotron than dry chemical.
personally I’d rather have a jug of water than dry chemical
klyde sessna
Name: Earl Tuggle
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Retired. Airport bum.

Post by klyde sessna »

a64pilot wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:39 pm This is where mine is, my poor girl doesn’t have an interior so forgive her that.
Many mount them just in front of the seat bottom, but wherever you mount it, in my opinion it ought to be able to be gotten to while your flying.
Yes definitely Halon, discharge a dry chemical one and beside doing a lot of damage, it will also make you blind and unable to breathe without coughing.
I think a dry chemical discharge in the cockpit while your flying could result in a crash.

Where mine is mounted, there is a pre existing hole that I used to mount it. I don’t like drilling holes if I can help it.
Oh my! That certainly looks like a headache waiting to happen! Can only imagine the projectile that would make in a serious dust-up!
Name: Art
Aircraft Type: C-140, PA-18
Occupation-Interests: 737 Wrangler

Post by 5422 »

CF01BCE8-9BB4-4FCD-821E-FB6915D80536.png
CF01BCE8-9BB4-4FCD-821E-FB6915D80536.png (489.49 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
A small easily breakable zip tie is kept on latch as a precaution even though it is fairly secure. A lifetime ago in a C-207 I had a bottle come off it’s mount on front of pilots seat and go back in pedals (turbulence). I want my extinguisher easily accessible but at the same time secure.
a64pilot

Post by a64pilot »

klyde sessna wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:12 pm
a64pilot wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:39 pm This is where mine is, my poor girl doesn’t have an interior so forgive her that.

Oh my! That certainly looks like a headache waiting to happen! Can only imagine the projectile that would make in a serious dust-up!
Very unlikely, if you look a the mounts design, the clamp isn’t what holds it in place, and the mount is mounted with a 5/16” bolt, with a 1” fender washer, so to break loose it would probably take in excess of 20G’s to tear out the beam.
I’m sure the mount will hold in excess of 100 lbs, so 20G’s to a 5 lb extinguisher is 100 lbs.
A 20G crash wouldn’t be survivable I don’t think. At 20G, my 250lbs is exerting 5,000 lbs of force, only a very few belts are capable of that, and I feel sure the aircraft structure couldn’t.

This is an aircraft fire bottle, it’s mount is not the thin sheet metal that you see on dry chemical bottles.

pic of the mount, and I was wrong about the weight, placard says min weight is 3.1 lbs, mine is 3.4 lbs.
Attachments
FE46D5F7-B7F6-4215-A26E-3AFDD6EC3436.jpeg
FE46D5F7-B7F6-4215-A26E-3AFDD6EC3436.jpeg (143.2 KiB) Viewed 1946 times