Chrome Wrapping

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
meloosifah
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Chrome Wrapping

Post by meloosifah »

I am building an RV experimental airplane. There is a website dedicated to these planes called Vans Air Force. There are a ton of people who have used wrap on that site. Check it out if you want. There are no membership dues so you can search all of their old posts on the subject. Lots of info and many happy owners.
juliogdiana
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by juliogdiana »

meloosifah wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:53 pm I am building an RV experimental airplane. There is a website dedicated to these planes called Vans Air Force. There are a ton of people who have used wrap on that site. Check it out if you want. There are no membership dues so you can search all of their old posts on the subject. Lots of info and many happy owners.
Which one are you building, I am doing the 7, on wings now.

Yes I got the idea to wrap from there but rv's have flush rivets, I wonder how wrap will works on dome head rivets.
meloosifah
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by meloosifah »

I built an -8 and am now building a -7a QB but am in the process of converting it to a -7. Working on wiring and getting ready to hang the engine.

The rivet situation is a good point. I really didn’t consider that. My only airplanes (until I got this 140 a few weeks ago) were fabric or RVs.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

The wrap will stretch over rivets, an experienced installer will use a heat gun a lot when wrapping.
If I remember correctly they used a stiff brush shaped like a shaving brush to get the wrap to fit around button head rivets, they tapped down with the brush