Chrome Wrapping

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
juliogdiana
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Chrome Wrapping

Post by juliogdiana »

Hello guys,

I wonder if any one here have experience with wrapping a airplane.

I have seen some airplanes been wrapped with unbelievable results, I was thinking get my 120 wrapped in chrome with green trims.

Any concerns?

Julio
Name: Blaine F
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests: Helicopter Pilot

Re: Chrome Wrapping

Post by 8474 »

I have stripped and polished my airplane and will be having it wrapped in pretty much the original scheme. That won't happen until this winter some time though so can't tell you how it goes just yet.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

I’ve had a few airplanes wrapped, they were new and the wrapping was part of an ad campaign.
Some vinyl is better than others, get the good stuff or it will fade very quickly.
Secondly wrapping looks good from 50 feet away, not so good closer. It won’t last, and is easily damaged.
Lastly I wrapped over a paint, over metal I’d be concerned about possible corrosion.
juliogdiana
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by juliogdiana »

a64pilot wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:38 am I’ve had a few airplanes wrapped, they were new and the wrapping was part of an ad campaign.
Some vinyl is better than others, get the good stuff or it will fade very quickly.
Secondly wrapping looks good from 50 feet away, not so good closer. It won’t last, and is easily damaged.
Lastly I wrapped over a paint, over metal I’d be concerned about possible corrosion.
Thanks for this points, considering the airplane been always on hangar, about 100 hours a year flying, do you think it will last around 10 years?
a64pilot

Post by a64pilot »

juliogdiana wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:28 pm
a64pilot wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:38 am I’ve had a few airplanes wrapped, they were new and the wrapping was part of an ad campaign.
Thanks for this points, considering the airplane been always on hangar, about 100 hours a year flying, do you think it will last around 10 years?

I don’t think it’s going to look as good as you think. I don’t know how to attach a picture, but the airplane in this article was wrapped.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... -turboprop

It was just a white airplane with wrapping on it the idea of the wrapping was several fold, one it’s computer printed, so the GE emblem etc could be done precisely as it’s was printed, painting all the graphics would have taken a real artist, plus this was version two, version one was in red. It’s just a matter of peeling the vinyl off and reapplying.
But the vinyl is not smooth, there are a couple of types, one is full of tiny holes to let air out, another has many small chalets underneath it to let air out, so I don’t think a shiny smooth surface is a achievable.
I’d put some graphics on my polished airplane if I was you as opposed to wrapping the whole thing

Post by 8474 »

I don't plan on wrapping the whole airplane. Just some of the cowl and the 2 stripes down the side. I also need to do the leading edge as I had to body fill the hangar rash there. I just had the shop that is going to do the wrap do my registration and it is pretty smooth and shiny, no holes in the vinyl at all.
GWBC.jpeg
GWBC.jpeg (132.26 KiB) Viewed 4113 times
a64pilot

Post by a64pilot »

Smaller, especially on flat surfaces are easier. I don’t know how well you can see it, but my registration numbers on the wing are red Vinyl, and while I believe it may have microscopic holes it’s smooth, larger sections wouldn’t be.
Suggest you contact a vinyl company, they are sure to have something around they have wrapped, often an automobile or truck for you to inspect.
Smaller sections will last a very long time.
Stern, of our boat is vinyl, as again painting is much more difficult.
Both will last years, boat is never hangered either.
Attachments
C4C89D66-6093-4CB4-B176-025D12452802.jpeg
C4C89D66-6093-4CB4-B176-025D12452802.jpeg (99.06 KiB) Viewed 4092 times
64A60A65-2F30-4D88-AD4C-A1BEC5E5B453.jpeg
64A60A65-2F30-4D88-AD4C-A1BEC5E5B453.jpeg (96.61 KiB) Viewed 4092 times

Post by 8474 »

The shop that did my reg is an experienced vinyl shop, they do all sorts of very complex curved surfaces for cars and trucks so I'm not concerned about them doing the cowl.
I will have to have a really close look with a magnifying glass to see if there are microscopic holes or not.
a64pilot

Re: Chrome Wrappi

Post by a64pilot »

For whatever it’s worth, and I am not the FAA police, but vinyl N numbers do not meet the requirements of being “permanent”
A decal, whatever the difference is, does.
So if asked, call them decals I guess :)
The vinyl N numbers on my wings are not N numbers, they are from a legal perspective just part of the paint scheme of my airplane.

I manufactured airplanes for a long time, and towards the end of my work, the manufacturer was putting on N numbers for US Registered aircraft in Vinyl, although I advised them it didn’t meet the FAR’s.
I always had on the aircraft that were being exported as they were temporary N numbers.

On edit, just realized your a Canadian aircraft, so I don’t know what your regs say.

We got ours made by the local car “Speed Shop” they also made the larger ones that I put on my wings.
Vinyl from shops like that will most likely be just plain ole vinyl, with no holes etc, they I believe laser cut it from material on a roll. But if you go to a shop that specializes in vinyl wrapping boats and trucks etc, they can computer print graphics etc. on the vinyl, that’s when you get the special vinyl that’s much thicker, stretchy and has either holes or channels in the underside of it to let air out. Can you imagine trying to lay vinyl on a whole automobile without any air bubbles?

Be very careful with the vinyl you buy, some won’t handle sunlight very well at all, red will turn pink in a few weeks, but the good stuff will last for years.
I believe most outdoor advertising signs are now computer printed vinyl now, paper is I believe a thing of the past.

Next airplane I have seen was a Caravan wrapped with what looked like the US flag waving. That would have been exceedingly difficult to paint.

Post by 8474 »

Canadian regs only specify the size and location of the registration marks, not the material.