Landing light stuck down

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Landing light stuck down

Post by 6643 »

Now, all you have to do is figure out how to get the screws out that hold the light in the wing, with the light extended and covering one or two of them. I ended up cutting a Phillips bit down to about 1/2" long.
meloosifah
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by meloosifah »

Well - still haven’t fixed the motor but the new LED is amazing. My poor generator couldn’t keep up with all my lights and now I’m pulling a couple amps with everything on. It really doesn’t seem much brighter but it’s not single handedly heating my hangar anymore. The snap ring is a piece of cake once you figure it out, but a second set of hands made it very nice.
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Post by 8342 »

There are two windings in the motor for operations.

One to extend the light and the second to retract.

The retract winding may have failed.

Tha is what I found on mine.

So when I recovered the wings I did the STC to put the lights in the leading edge.

No more motor problems.

Rick
meloosifah
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by meloosifah »

For future readers, I wanted to follow up here. My light is now operable! Thank you to everyone who posted here. All of the input (and especially the pictures of a correct light) helped enormously. After several hours of removal and trouble shooting, a simple problem was discovered.

I cleaned all the contactors in the light and replaced the old crummy ground wire. I installed a longer screw for the light housing side of the ground - it seemed to be barely making contact with the housing. No joy.

I cleaned the contact points on the switch in the panel. No joy.

I removed the motor from the light to test travel on the gear and verify operation. I found one limit switch that was way off and adjusted that. I cleaned and regressed the gear. No joy.

I bench tested the light and it was slow and sounded weird but at least it worked! Volt meter showed me that at the wire connectors I was getting slight voltage drop but if I jumped to the contactor it worked properly. On a whim, I used an undersized wire as a jumper and it WOULD NOT operate the motor.

I desoldered the two power wires for the motor (not the light bulb) and replaced them. I also cut and replaced the last couple inches and connectors on those wires in the wing. Works perfectly!!

Learning opportunity - a voltage loss of a volt or so slowed the motor down dramatically. A voltage loss of slightly less than 2 would not even cause the motor to hum. If the wiring is undersized even slightly (through wire selection, damage, corrosion, bad connections, etc.) this motor will not even make a whisper.
meloosifah
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by meloosifah »

I will also note, I am the only guy around that has a functional retracting light! Is it heavy? Yes! Is it slow? Yes! Is it a pain to work on? Yes! Is it overly complicated and cause me heartburn thinking of when it will fail next? Yes and Yes! Is it impractical? Yes!

But IS IT COOL? YESSSS!!!!!

I own a 140. It’s SUPPOSED to be a little retro impractical. I’m 6’4” and weigh 205lbs. Everyone said I wouldn’t like the tight fit. I’ve found it to be roomy - well no - not roomy, but surprisingly comfortable.
hotrodmac
Name: Lance B
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Information Technology

Post by hotrodmac »

6277 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm Avlite has the circle clips and they are not cheap. I recall more than $50 last time I checked. Seems like a suitable sub could be found somewhere.
Got a link to the clips? Mine is missing an ear and I want to do the LED Swap.

Mac, be on the lookout for a knock on your door. Since you have experience, I may show up one afternoon with a light assembly in my hand. ;)
'46 C140 - Flying
Kitfox SS7 - Building
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

Meloosifah:

Great feedback! Exactly what this forum needs - many do but "more the merrier"! :D
meloosifah
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by meloosifah »

I broke one of the tabs, using standard channel lock pliers. I found that if you use snap ring pliers or small needle nose, use the “holes” that the tabs are cut out of. Works better than the tabs. But MAKE SURE that the paint and rust are loose first.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

"Mac, be on the lookout for a knock on your door. Since you have experience, I may show up one afternoon with a light assembly in my hand. ;)"

Got it! ;) ...ready to tackle when you are (I've almost forgotten the pain of my own LED install...so ready to do it again ). Mac