Quick oil drain valve

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Quick oil drain valve

Post by 8424 »

O my, John, did I make a stupid question and statement or what! I've been putting oil in Lycomings for to long. Thanks for being so gentle in correcting my line of thought...you really had a chance to rub it in! My wife wonders where my brain is most of the time...I'm beginning to agree with her. I'll try to engage it a little better in the future.

Hopefully everyone will have a good laugh over this...we need something to laugh about these days!

Many years ago an IA "allowed" me to remove the tank of an O-200 to retrieve the plastic lid retaining ring that fell in as I was adding a quart of oil.

I'm just getting back to the small continentals so maybe I won't embarrass my self any more!

Take care.

Steve A H
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Geez! Don't feel bad. Most people don't know that,anyhow.

I would have left the plastic ring in there! All the aviation oil I've seen, the ring stays with the cap. You weren't using car oil, were you? ;)
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 8424 »

No, it was real airplane oil...AeroShell 100. There was a fellow that did use car oil in his O-300/C172. This was in McGrath, AK, in the late 1980's, and a lot of interesting things were done to airplanes out there in the bush! Few annuals were done and even fewer licensed pilots flew the them.

Guess I'd better let the thread get back to the quick oil drain valve. Didn't mean to hijack it!

Steve A H
Name: Rick C
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8244 »

Why not use 100 LL. Just be careful it’s flammable , it evaporates fast and a little bit in sump shouldn’t hurt a thing
Name: Ramp Rat
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Semi-Retired A&P

Post by 5099 »

I could be all wrong but, wasn't there an issue with Autovalve quick drains failing? Or was that a different make?
There wasn't an AD issued but a service bulletin.
Steve.
America, Love it or Leave IT!