King KY97A help

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Dave Sirota
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests:

King KY97A help

Post by 6843 »

Hi Ladies and Gents, I need some advice from the electronically gifted among you. I have a KY97A in my panel. I am using the built-in intercom. Both headsets hear ATC clearly. Both headsets transmit to ATC clearly. Both headsets hear the intercom clearly. But, when one headset is transmitting to ATC, the other headset hears the transmission very weakly. This occurs in both headsets i.e. if one is transmitting, the other hears the transmission very weak. Where do I start? Is this likely an internal problem with the radio or should I start chasing a bad wire connection?

Thanks for your insight,
Dave
Dave Sirota
'46 C-140 N89654
'96 Hatz N24B
KRYN
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: King KY97A help

Post by 6643 »

I'm no avionix expert, but, since the intercom works as expected and both headsets act the same way, I'm gonna guess it's not a wiring issue. Has it always been this way? If so, I'm guessing it's "supposed to" be like that. There may be some internal adjustment for the level, but you'd need the King maintenance info for that.
Name: Dave Sirota
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6843 »

Thanks John. I agree that it probably isn't wiring since everything else works. I've only had the plane a short time but it's been like that since I got it. Someone on another forums group thought its a "sidetone" issue and there's a sidetone adjustment accessible through a hole in the case. I'm going to try that.

I hope everyone is safe and keeping their sense of humor!
Dave Sirota
'46 C-140 N89654
'96 Hatz N24B
KRYN
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

To be succinct. headset usage was not that extensive in cabin aircraft many years ago - my 140 had a speaker screwed to the ceiling under the headliner. Obviously open cockpit required then. "Sidetone" is a reduced volume feedback primarily to the pilot so that he hears himself talking as normal.
If the sidetone is set too high, then the microphone may pick it up and cause the system to break in to oscillation causing a "squealing'" in the system like one hears from time-to-time when a PA system operator has set the volume up too high. Can possibly get better info if you just search on "radio side tone".
Your system is probably working as designed but you can teak the side tone, just be careful. If I find my KX170 series manual ( "cousin" to the KY97A) I may be back. 2c

PS IIRC there use to be a radio tech active on this page - possibly he will better address the issue.
PPS My spelling checker doesn't like "sidetone" as one word but it is in the industry! :D