ADSB

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate pilot

ADSB

Post by 1125 »

We're doing the ADSB on the 120 this week. Planned to do it before the deadline, but too much stuff going on with winter, family, etc. Reading through the Garmin GDL 82 info, I failed to notice (I'm not avionics savvy) you should look at the old coax cables for db loss and possibly replace with the new style so there is no db loss incurring issues with the system. I kind of thought it was 'plug and play' but my son spoke with folks who said no, do the new style cables, with the AT 50 transponder, you should have no trouble. So it involved some more disassembly and modification ($$ and time). Hope to get it done in a few days, now just waiting for VFR wx.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Re: ADSB

Post by 2066 »

When we did the GDL-82 install on the 140 I considered (briefly) utilizing part of the old coax...then, realized that we'd need to use "new" for the GPS antenna as well as to/from the Garmin unit itself anyhow, so it just made sense to upgrade completely. This is a very dependable and "permanent" ADS-B installation and the new coax helps ensure a "clean", complete & squawk free operation. I suggest spending a "few" more bucks & going with their recommendation. Mac
IMG_0562 (1).JPG
IMG_0562 (1).JPG (341.68 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Name:
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate pilot

Post by 1125 »

Not really upset, i know how progress works in our industry. However, I wish Garmin and other marketers of the adsb hardware would have said at the outset you need to possibly update the attendant wiring , etc so there are no issues in the installation, checkout, and certification process. The reason I am saying this, is it is not clear in the marketing brochures this is a possible issue.
Anyway, we're getting it done in the next week hopefully, and will be back in the dreaded B airspace 8-)

Post by 2066 »

Agree. Mfgr's initial advertising seemed to indicate almost "simple plug & play". My IA suggested ordering with pre-fabbed harness & the GDL82 pre-programmed specifically for my 140 from a Spruce "endorsed" shop that was offering the "package" at the time. That really speeded our install & test/cert. In talking to that shop since then (mid 2018) they realized that their ability to sell the unit at a competitive price & profitably provide that "service" just wasn't possible. You guys will find it (relatively) simple & straightforward as you get into it, but count on some significant time for fabricating & installing. The instructions provided begin to make a lot more sense after you get into it...and, after reading them for the umpteenth time :? . One thing you have going for you is that there's no flap handle action/cable to place wiring around if you choose that area under-floor route :) . Again, though, in spite of the hassle it's a quality piece of equipment and you'll feel very confident when it's all over and in use. Mac
Name: Ray Hunter
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Retired AF, B-17, UH-1, pilot for Yankee Air Museum

Post by 6277 »

Does ADSB-Out always show up on Flight Aware? Sometimes my tail beacon shows up, other times not?

Post by 2066 »

6277 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:47 pm Does ADSB-Out always show up on Flight Aware? Sometimes my tail beacon shows up, other times not?
Ray, I don't know about always. When I've looked at my "history" on Flight Aware it only showed part of one flight over a period of time. I'm seldom more than -2000 AGL, so not sure what that might mean to FA's coverage & reception(?). However, I do request an updated FAA online "flight check" periodically and have 100% coverage on every one, without exception. Interestingly (to me, anyhow :) ), the reports usually indicate that they "have me" on ground or shortly after take-off & when landing even though I'm at least 30+ miles from where I believe ground ATC equipment to be...and we do have a few hills around here. (I try to remember to smile when I'm in the hangar with the door closed...just in case "they" are still watching then! :D ) Mac