Avionics not on AML....

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
braol
Name: Chris
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests: Retired military, OR Nurse, part-time Farmer, Big Dreamer

Avionics not on AML....

Post by braol »

Hello,
I was looking at some Garmin and Aspen instruments/GPS panels and noticed that the 140/140a is not listed on these manufacturers Authorized Model Lists for their various components. What exactly does this mean? I have seen two Cessna 180's that were full IFR with Aspen 1000 PFD panels installed and that plane is not listed on Aspen's AML. How does one get an instrument installed in a certified plane if that plane isn't on the component's AML? e
I also ask the question because I am interested in the possibility of making a 140 IFR someday...
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Avionics not on AML....

Post by edidin »

Can't give useful info to your question, but would like to learn how you equip the 140 for IFR. I've been toying with doing the same to a 120. Just to be able to climb through or descend through a simple layer over a field in the NE summers. Not slog for hours through the clag.
phil123
Name:
Aircraft Type: C140-O200
Occupation-Interests: aircraft maint. former agpilot- anything GA

Post by phil123 »

You would need to get with your IA and do a 337 for legality purposes to put that in. If the equipment was approved for lets say a C150 the FSDO should have no problems signing off on it, just get it approved first before putting the cash down on radios and installation.
Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8362 »

What Phil said.
That’s the way the Tailbeacon is installed on the 120/140.
There’s a STC for a similar plane, the IA submits a 337 after install referencing the STC.
uAvionix has a example of the 337 on their site so I didn’t get prior approval.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Garmin actually will offer some assistance with situations like this. Regularly our Avionics shop deals with a Garmin product that is not on a specific list for that unit. Usually Garmin Tech support will publish (and lead you to it on their site) a document that will offer tech support for your specific approval on your aircraft.

The FAA is(should be) quite used to this now, they will look up that Garmin product and if it's been approved on other aircraft, then it's almost a formality. Just be certain your IA has at least a working relationship with the local FSDO, that helps..........
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

The GPS series of navigators and the G5 both have the 120/140 on the AML.