Crosswind landing video ...

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Crosswind landing video ...

Post by 7263 »

If you're bored, and want to watch a video.

By the way, I know it says "whell" landing, can't spell very well.

https://youtu.be/qy_gSjn5zRk
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Re: Crosswind landing video ...

Post by 2066 »

Well done! ...smooth touchdown on the mains and tailwheel down at just the right time -- thanks for sharing! You've still got it 8-) Mac
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7263 »

Thanks.
Last edited by 7263 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Post by 8233 »

Practice is important for sure but you still have to know the limits of the airplane and of yourself. Case in point for those who saw it, Draco was totaled today as Mike Patey loss control in a severe crosswind during takeoff. He could have chosen a more favorable runway and didn't. Mike posted a video of his thoughts and said it was 100% on him. His Message. Don’t wander out of the aircrafts envelope or your personal limitations.

It wouldn't discourage me to continue to develop good crosswind landing skills but it is a timely reminder of what can happen to anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAo ... ePq4VvY5ys

Thanks for sharing the video. Nice job keeping her straight!
Last edited by 8233 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7263 »

8233 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:10 pm Practice is important for sure but you still have to know the limits of the airplane and of yourself. Case in point for those who saw it, Draco was totaled today as Mike Patey loss control in a severe crosswind during takeoff. He could have chosen a more favorable runway and didn't. Mike posted a video of his thoughts and said it was 100% on him. His Message. Don’t wonder out of the aircrafts envelope or your personal limitations.

It wouldn't discourage me to continue to develop good crosswind landing skills but it is a timely reminder of what can happen to anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAo ... ePq4VvY5ys

Thanks for sharing the video. Nice job keeping her straight!
You are welcome.

I do have a healthy respect for my abilities as a pilot, and the capabilities of the airplane, and I have taken more favorable runways many times, as well as have gone on to airports that have more favorable runways re the wind.

If I can't hold it straight down the runway, with rudder and aileron to spare, I go somewhere else.

This is my 46th year flying tail wheel aircraft, my C140 and C120.

If I've learned anything in that time, it's to practice crosswind landings whenever possible, and keep the plane straight down the runway. This year I witnessed two ground-loops, I had never seen one before.
The first was a Cessna 140 Patroller that the pilot ground-looped on take off, not a pretty sight.
The second was a Super Cub on landing.
The C140 looked like the pilot wasn't moving the rudder.
The Super Cub pilot looked like he was in a slip and just didn't stop slipping, the plane started to skip and hop on the left gear, and then went around in a circle.

Both were on calm days, no wind.

To the new, young pilots out there. We were all just like you, apprehensive in crosswinds, and the landing quirks of the tail wheel aircraft.
Make it fun, and it will be with lots of practice. Find a CFI who is comfortable with crosswinds, and make them make you a better tail wheel pilot.

To the CFI's out there. Make your students completely comfortable in crosswind landings.
I have actually flown with licensed pilots who had never landed in a direct crosswind.
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Post by 8233 »

7263 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:26 pm If I can't hold it straight down the runway, with rudder and aileron to spare, I go somewhere else.

This is my 46th year flying tail wheel aircraft, my C140 and C120.

If I've learned anything in that time, it's to practice crosswind landings whenever possible, and keep the plane straight down the runway. This year I witnessed two ground-loops, I had never seen one before.
The first was a Cessna 140 Patroller that the pilot ground-looped on take off, not a pretty sight.
The second was a Super Cub on landing.
The C140 looked like the pilot wasn't moving the rudder.
The Super Cub pilot looked like he was in a slip and just didn't stop slipping, the plane started to skip and hop on the left gear, and then went around in a circle.

Both were on calm days, no wind.

To the new, young pilots out there. We were all just like you, apprehensive in crosswinds, and the landing quirks of the tail wheel aircraft.
Make it fun, and it will be with lots of practice. Find a CFI who is comfortable with crosswinds, and make them make you a better tail wheel pilot.

To the CFI's out there. Make your students completely comfortable in crosswind landings.
I have actually flown with licensed pilots who had never landed in a direct crosswind.
I whole heartedly agree. One thing I really enjoyed about the convention is the experience sharing and lessons learned from 120/140 pilots who have had their airplanes for many years like yourself. It's always humbling and informative to hear.
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120