C150 seats versus Original seats

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

C150 seats versus Original seats

Post by 8424 »

These questions are for you if you own or have flown a C120/140 with the original seats and the C150 seats.

Which seats do you prefer and why?

Can the C150 seat be positioned as far forward and rearward as the original seat back? I'm referring the positioning of the bottom of the original seat, not the tilt feature.

Is the sitting height higher or lower than the original seat?

Is there enough difference between them that would cause you to install the C150 seat in your next C120/140 that has the original seat?

My first C140 had the original seat and it worked great for me. It was interesting having several BFRs with my good friend who is 6'2"/230 lbs and me at 5'4"/130 lbs to say the least.I have a set of C150 seats and am considering installing them in my C140A.

Thanks.

Steve H
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Re: C150 seats versus Original seats

Post by 2066 »

Higher/lower and range of adjustment can vary with installations. That said, I've only flown right seat with 150 seats installed in a 120, but was amazed at how much easier climbing in/out is. I've seen a good number of super looking 150 installations over the years. My 140 has OEM seats and they work fine for me...height of 5' 8". Given plenty of money and plenty of time I'd consider an "upgrade" to the 150 seats...but, both time and money seem always to be going for other "needed" stuff (ADS-B, for example :) ). On an unrelated note, I just "gained" 10 pounds useful load by removing an old DG, a bunch of wiring/plumbing, venturi, Loran and related -- I get more excited about reducing weight and complexities in the ole 140 than "adding" these days. FWIW. Mac
Name: Martin Tanguay
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5115 »

8424 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:59 am These questions are for you if you own or have flown a C120/140 with the original seats and the C150 seats.

Which seats do you prefer and why?

Can the C150 seat be positioned as far forward and rearward as the original seat back? I'm referring the positioning of the bottom of the original seat, not the tilt feature.

Is the sitting height higher or lower than the original seat?

Is there enough difference between them that would cause you to install the C150 seat in your next C120/140 that has the original seat?

My first C140 had the original seat and it worked great for me. It was interesting having several BFRs with my good friend who is 6'2"/230 lbs and me at 5'4"/130 lbs to say the least.I have a set of C150 seats and am considering installing them in my C140A.

Thanks.

Steve H
Steve,
I'm 6'2'' and my 140 1946 had the pan seats, ie no frame on the bottom cushions, compared to those that have the front pins that put them in place, those sit higher. Hence the pan cushions make you sit lower, which was not a bad thing for me.
I am now flying the 150 seat installed with a 1'' thick wood block spacer under the rail. I certainly sit higher now and the head room is limit with plastic interior I have, but the front back adjustment is simply great.
Plus the fact that when a shorter passenger jumps in, they can adjust the seat forward and not have their calves against the edge between the feet pan and the fuel selector floor.That gets very uncomfortable.
Another point, putting stuff behind the seats is easier as they are splitted and one can remove the passenger seat to get larger stuff in.

The 150 seats are not easy to find (not in Canada I would say) and would certainly redo the mod again on another 140.

Hope this helps. If you have a set already, go for it! ;-)
Martin Tanguay
Intl Cessna 120-140 Association - Canadian rep
C140, C-FJAR, 1946, sn:9168, O-200, ragwings
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 8424 »

Thanks Mac and Martin for your notes.

An STC was just issued for the installation of the seats to David Lowe, Lowe Aviation Aircraft Maintenance on 07/18/2019.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... hlight=5a2

I sure would like to hear from more of you that have flown the C120/140 with both OEM seats and C150 seats.

By the way, Mac, I've lost some weight too...35 lbs of nav/com/power supply/ADF/venturis/gyro instruments/antennas. Back to the basic panel which worked fine for me in my first 140. Wish I could get the Aerothane paint off easily...another good amount of weight loss staring me in the face!!

Steve H
klyde sessna
Name: Earl Tuggle
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Retired. Airport bum.

Post by klyde sessna »

To anyone considering the STC for 150 seats: look at the entire cost first! Those four required seat rails alone cost over $1800. Then there’s the cost of manufacturing And installing eight brackets and purchasing two seats. And your mechanic’s time. Probably going to be a $3000 plus conversion before you’re done.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Still not cheap, but you can get all 4 rails new from McFarlane for about $1255. Your seats are coming from a plane; the rails might be good, too.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

C150 seats are my next upgrade, when I have time to "getaroundtoit"........

I've flown the original seats for years. When I was at the Tullahoma TN convention a member wanted to have me fly their airplane to check out the engine. This aircraft had the 150 seats. While we only flew locally I could immediately see the advantage of being able to push farther back, extend out your legs and get some much needed leg room on cross countries. Especially if there are two people of any size in the airplane! I was immediately sold on the idea and set about finding a set of seats to purchase. I think you would be very pleased once you have them installed. I "know" I will be.
klyde sessna

Post by klyde sessna »

I purchased David Lowe’s STC. It calls out specific seat rails from Cessna or McFarlane. At 22 inches long, They are not 150 seat rails, which cannot be used. Nor can wooden blocks or aluminum stock or bolting the rails to the pan. The STC is definitely engineered and requires specific fabrication.
klyde sessna

Post by klyde sessna »

Highly suggest that if you are going to try the 337 field approval route, get it approved FIRST before you buy seats and materials.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

Don’t you pick up the recurring AD for the seat rails?