C150 seats versus Original seats

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
mschreiner
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: C150 seats versus Original seats

Post by mschreiner »

I'm about to undertake restoring our family C-140 that I learned to fly in in 1990 and has been sitting since around 2000. 150 seats were high on my priorities but the "old" way of attaching the rails to 2x4s seemed a little sketchy. This one from David Lowe looks better. However, with modern materials available, you can fabricate some really comfortable cushions with thigh bolsters and lumbar support and keep the original look and weight (and cost).

If you want to go forward, I wouldn't worry about the seat rail AD. If you're buying new rails, it should take your IA about 30 seconds to inspect for the next 5000 hours. I'd be more concerned about getting 150 seats that didn't need a complete rebuild. Most of them are about worn out.
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

Well the cost of David Lowe's STC in 2019 dollars was $200. Have no idea if he's still offering it for that price at the present. One of my 140A's is equipped with Cessna 150 seats while my second "A" has the original seats. In the aircraft equipped with 150 seats you do sit higher than the an aircraft fitted with the original type seat, but as far as comfort I can't find much of a difference. Much depends on the condition of the padding and springs. As for the ability to slide forward or back on seat rails, I'm 5'10" and found that I kept the 150 seat all the way to the rear when flying. Just my 2 cents.
cdoughty
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cdoughty »

Just got through redoing the seats in my 1946 140 with the cushion in the pans style bottoms. Managed to take out 9 lbs of horsehair. I am 6 ft so sit with the back in the full back position and short co-pilots just have to stretch I guess.

I spent a lot of time cutting and gluing foam to get the contours and bolsters I wanted and flying with them to test comfort.

I understand the allure of individual adjustment, but I dont see how the 150 seats cant be a substantial weight hit.
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 8424 »

Well, since I started this thread 2 years ago, I figure I'd better give an update on my seat situation!

I decided to stay with the original seats. I will eventually recover them to get rid of as much weight as possible. Several posts here indicate a 10 pounds reduction is possible. My C150 seats need a lot of repair before they could be installed. I may put them up for sale at a later date.

Steve A H
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

I think you will be happier, and keeping the airplane more original has its own appeal.
maverick_fa
Name: Mat
Aircraft Type: One Forty 100
Occupation-Interests: Flight Instructor (Aerobatic & ASEL), Avionics, FTI

Post by maverick_fa »

cdoughty wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:28 am Just got through redoing the seats in my 1946 140 with the cushion in the pans style bottoms. Managed to take out 9 lbs of horsehair. I am 6 ft so sit with the back in the full back position and short co-pilots just have to stretch I guess.
Did you lowered the weight just by removing the foam because you are tall or you have been using another type of foam? Did you note the weight before/after? Is it possible to share a picture? It's a project on my to do list of weight saving items.

BTW, I'm 5'6'' with short leg & I'm flying my 140 with full back position (aft CG & away from the brake).
Mat | CSG3
cdoughty
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cdoughty »

Hey Mat,
I did weigh the pre and post and was/am pretty weight obsessed at the time so was watching it closely.
My original seats were truly mostly horsehair and I think maybe some cotton batting, covered in old vinyl. I used 2 lb density foam, which is std upholstery foam sourced from Airtex to get FAA certs. In the bases the first 1-2 inches was a stiffer Minicell foam because I didnt want to sink into the cushion too much and to stiffen the bolsters, also 2 lb density. I think the bases ended up about 4 in thick total, backs maybe 2 in thick. Covered with ultraleather fake leather bolsters and cloth center panels. Considered real leather, but it weighed quite a bit more. and the cloth is probably cooler, at least till the AC gets going (you do have AC right??). I also considered tempurfoam, but its also a lot heavier (6 lb density if my memory is correct).

I'm 6 ft so didn't want too much bottom thickness. As it stands when I look sideways my eye-level is just below the top of side window.

I'll see if I can get a picture.
maverick_fa

Post by maverick_fa »

cdoughty wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:59 pm you do have AC right??
NR in the Northern Canadian freezing North! :D

Thank for the info. I really appreciate!
This year I'm doing the electrical/avionics upgrade & a huge cabin & fuselage cleaning. I hope to save ~30 lbs.
I hope to get an extra 15 lbs from the seat & the wings for the stage II of my makeover.
Mat | CSG3
cdoughty
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cdoughty »

Old Bottoms 5.75 lbs, new 2.75 lbs each
New back 8.7 lbs, old back was 12 lbs I think but couldn't find my note.
Happy to PM you all the details.
Interior-small.jpg
Interior-small.jpg (203.51 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
maverick_fa

Post by maverick_fa »

WoW! they look like VW GTI 337 Recaro seats ;)
You did a great job!!
Mat | CSG3