Wheel landing versus 3 point.

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Wheel landing versus 3 point.

Post by 8424 »

Edd, do you have photos and size of plate and square tubing available of this "repair"? Also, what was entry in the log book?

"As a minor repair, I have installed a 4130 plate doubler in this area and "closed" the section with a small square 4130 tube welded across the bottom of the doubler, thus "closing" the section to a box configuration ."

Thanks.

Steve
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7263 »

6643 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:52 pm You can get down and stopped faster and shorter with a wheel landing. Also, works best for spot landing contests. The three-pointer is a lot more comfortable for low (tailwheel) time pilots. If you never go anywhere really short or tricky you may never need a wheel landing, but it can't hurt to get proficient at it anyhow.

This is true, and here's an example.
Short approach, wheel landing, and lay on the brakes.
Many people don't understand how hard one can brake this airplane
on landing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FBNRseyEL4
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

Steve H.

My response was triggered by the You Tube reference with the $$$ for new brackets.

The doubler was actually a three-sided inverted "liner" made from one piece of 4130 plate (IIRC .040") riveted to the forward section of the bracket. The tubing was welded across the bottom two sides of the doubler. Doubler was constructed, welded and then inserted into bracket and riveted. Of course, the bracket was removed from airframe. Log book entry not done yet but will simply state material used, location, etc.

Can't do photos via internet but if you need more detail for like problem, do have photo archived on digital camera memory card and would have hard print made and send. Send PM or email moxcart1@wmconnect.com or call 423-605-4474 cell, leave message if necessary.

Edd
Name: Terry R
Aircraft Type: C140 / O-290
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8455 »

7263 - whoever you are! :)

Nice approach and landing, did everything the tower asked for and not even a "thank you"!
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7263 »

8455 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:34 pm 7263 - whoever you are! :)

Nice approach and landing, did everything the tower asked for and not even a "thank you"!
Thanks.
The controller, he's a fellow pilot, and friend for years, we chatted about it afterward.
Even though he sort of knows my abilities, he must ask each time if someone can make a
short approach.
Name: John Kliewer
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Post by 6863 »

Both techniques have their place.

Landings on greens at weekend flyins are dramatically beautiful when they are 3 point. Watching 3 point landings on golf green airstrips or even paved runways is like listening to French accordion music while sipping Bordeaux.

Reality hits in utility flying when one needs to touch down over obstacles on rough short strips in gusty crosswinds, riding out burms that do their best to the throw the aircraft back into the air, and in some cases negotiating a dog leg. This is where the wheel landing shines because it gives the pilot ultimate control in tacking it on, staying on the ground while riding over the burms, maintaining directional control and use of maximum braking by keeping weight on main wheels while blowing air over the tail to keep the tail from going over the top. Last but not least, tailwheel preservation and maintenance is so much less of a burden when the tailwheel is used for final rollout and taxi as opposed to touch down and entire rollout. Take it from a guy who had to fly everyday and maintain his heavy taildragger.

The two video links below demonstrate my points above. One video shows landing over an obstacle landing on burms in a gusty crosswind on an 1200 foot airstrip measured from the foot of the trees and coming to a stop 900 ft from those trees. The other video portrays landing on a surface with a dogleg.

https://youtu.be/DeHaEvTrqk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4fkFxyCV-A

Happy landings with whichever technique you choose.
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."
Name: Martin Tanguay
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5115 »

Very nice, both of them. Landing in a turn is always impressive. For those interested, go take a look at this site: https://www.tailwheelersjournal.com/201 ... in-a-turn/
Take the time to read the articles. Brian is a great pilot and excellent writer.

In the first video, I like the dive just after the trees and the smooth touch of the wheels.
Thank you for sharing
Martin Tanguay
Intl Cessna 120-140 Association - Canadian rep
C140, C-FJAR, 1946, sn:9168, O-200, ragwings

Post by 6863 »

Like I said in my earlier post, both techniques have their place. But if you're making a living with a Cessna 185 doing 10 - 15 landings a day on short unimproved surfaces and attempt to make 3 point landings your go to technique, you'll be rolling your airplane up in a ball sooner rather than later. Take it from someone who has survived the African bush environment.
John Kliewer

Name: Bob P
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Flyboy

Post by 3679 »

Now that we have covered landings, let's discuss something way more interesting..extenders!! :twisted: :evil:

or partial power takeoffs :lol:
Bob Parks
Texas State Rep.
N140P 1947 C140
N180W 1978 C180

Post by 6863 »

Well Bob, extenders or the lack thereof is a no brainer. Hopefully passee? Flex takeoffs on the other hand? I myself would never admit to having tried such a thing in a Cessna 120. But just for the record and for grins only, the C-90 on my 120 can take both airplane and pilot airborne quite nicely on a cool day in less than 2000 ft. But like I said, I would never try it. At least not at home.
John Kliewer