120-140 checklists.

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
cdoughty
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: 120-140 checklists.

Post by cdoughty »

Great checklists. It seems to me the biggest benefit is the thought process that goes into making one and deciding what goes where and why. Once flying a lot you will gravitate back to CIGARS or a flow.

One question I have for the group is how you guys handle fuel and switching tanks. I have a kitchen timer on the panel and run a tank for say 30 mins and switch when time runs out. Switch and reset.

Another rule I have is no landings in the red "no Take off" zone. After all if you do go around you will be pitching up to TO attitude and deporting a tank could be unpleasant.
maverick_fa
Name: Mat
Aircraft Type: One Forty 100
Occupation-Interests: Flight Instructor (Aerobatic & ASEL), Avionics, FTI

Post by maverick_fa »

cdoughty wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:49 am Great checklists. It seems to me the biggest benefit is the thought process that goes into making one and deciding what goes where and why. Once flying a lot you will gravitate back to CIGARS or a flow.
I did my licenseS (private & commercial) last year & I'm still learning a lot by doing the checklist.
Of course I can fly my C140 without the checklist & even without any instruments (I flew mine with blocked pitot few times & a kind of alternate static) but I felt I didn't know the limitations of my airplane. Now I got a baseline when I'll start to perform Nav, STOL & gentlemen aerobatic.
cdoughty wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:49 am One question I have for the group is how you guys handle fuel and switching tanks
Engine start: lowest tank / Run Up: fullest tank
In Flight: check level every 15 min (at the same time I'm checking the DG, carb heat). I allow 1/4 tank diff. max:
-LHS Full / RHS 3/4
-LHS 1/2 / RHS 3/4
-LHS 1/2 / RHS 1/4
-LHS 1/4 / RHS 1/4
-Land

My tailwheel instructor switch tank every 30 minutes like you but it doesn't work for me unless I write down it in a kneepad. I prefer to go with fuel level.
cdoughty wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:49 am Another rule I have is no landings in the red "no Take off" zone. After all if you do go around you will be pitching up to TO attitude and deporting a tank could be unpleasant.
Lower than that will work (ie 1/8) if you avoid steep movement attitude (ie Vx, 45° banking) BUT I don't recommend it. It can happen at any time if you encounter an emergency (go around due traffic/animal).

The Ops Manuel recommend no take off with less than 1/4 thank so the landing will be around 7/32 tank (red zone) if you want to play with the boundary so your values totally make sense as always.
Last edited by maverick_fa on Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mat | CSG3
simonlowther
Name: Simon Lowther
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Airline pilot Airbus 320

Post by simonlowther »

When you get down to the last of the available fuel after a long sortie you have to ask yourself would I rather have two tanks at 1/8th each or one tank on 1/4.

For me one tank on 1/4 wins every time so I plan fuel burn accordingly. (as a side bar, I don't routinely burn down to the last 30 minutes but there are definite advantages to having it all in one side if you do).

On check-list's, there is a wealth of information around on check-list design and execution, NASA did several interesting studies as have Cranfield University. One thing I note often not thought about with GA check-list design is thought to what NOT to put on the list (hence delineating between a do list and a check list).

Also discussion forums like these as much as it frustrates many people are actually outstanding places to compare and discuss such lists, I guess as a competition of ideas. I like seeing what others are doing as it keeps my own operation honest.

Si
Simon Lowther

Cessna 120 (11102)
cdoughty
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cdoughty »

I am happy to run one tank deep into the red, and would agree one at 1/4 beats two at 1/8. My point was I think it would be bad practice to run one out and the second deep into the red. At that point you are committing to land, not go around.

That said I do think the red zones are very conservatively drawn. When I drained the tanks on the ground fuel flowed to near the bottom of the red, but still left 2 gals, which would be 1/6th tank, meaning running to 1/8th is problematic (assuming the gauge actually reads fractions with any accuracy).

My opinion only and I claim no special expertise. In short don't listen to me. :D
maverick_fa
Name: Mat
Aircraft Type: One Forty 100
Occupation-Interests: Flight Instructor (Aerobatic & ASEL), Avionics, FTI

Post by maverick_fa »

simonlowther wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:27 pm Also discussion forums like these as much as it frustrates many people are actually outstanding places to compare and discuss such lists, I guess as a competition of ideas.
Maybe some people don't understand that checklist are mandatory IAW our regulations (at least in Canada) including the emergency procedures for commercial operators.

Simon, let's suppose that you are my instructor on a commercial flight test with my C140.
1. If you are asking a short field takeoff... what speed I should use?
2. If you are asking for a precautionary landing... what speed I should use in final in a field (not an airport/aerodrome) ?
3. Is it safe to fly at Vno in moderate turbulence if we don't have any Va speed in our POH? I can easily cruise at 110/115 mph on my C140...
*All these items are mandatory to pass the flight test exam in Canada.

Unfortunately, many standards didn't exist back in the days. I believe that discussion like this can be really constructive for some people if use wisely.
cdoughty wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:22 pm My opinion only and I claim no special expertise. In short don't listen to me. :D
What do you mean Mr. Doughty... I have a blind trust on everything that you are saying... :P
No but seriously, I got very similar result when I did the test in November last year... 2 AC (aircraft) same result...
Mat | CSG3
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7986 »

Does anyone have a good 140 preflight checklist that they would like to share.
Thanks
Name: David Sbur
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture

Post by 6597 »

Go to the front of this thread you are reading.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=642&p=11776#p11776
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

One thing that should be on every before landing checklist, also on the Cessna one, is "heels on the floor."