(Re) Introduction

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Larry B
Aircraft Type: 1948 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired Automation Engineer, Nothing to do and all day to do it.

(Re) Introduction

Post by 8452 »

I have just completed my new registration and come back to the club after about three years away. My late wife and I went to the International events in Shawnee, Ok and Tullahouma, TN. She passed away unexpectedly in May 2016 three days before my last day of work before retirement. I was beginning annual on my 140 at the time and it took two months for me to work through it and get back in the air. Some time after that I met a wonderful woman named Sandy, and a year and a half later we married. Her family has accepted me with open arms and I am now living a wonderful life again.

I have enjoyed my 140 immensely, but it didn’t serve as a traveling airplane, so in February of 2017 I bought an outstanding Mooney M20C. The guys in the Mooney shop even told me it was the best C model that had been in their shop. Last June I injured my shoulder and had to sell the manual gear Mooney. I ended up with a great F model with electric gear with all the J model modifications. It is a fast and efficient traveling plane we are enjoying a lot. The 140, however, is part of the family.

I have a very large hangar, so I have plenty of room for the 140, it is economical to insure, annual and fly although it is now engine replacement time and I am in the middle of that process. I got a freshly overhauled O200A to replace the one already in the plane. Sandy loves flying around our local area in the 140, enjoying the great scenery of the Lake Country, flying for breakfast on a nice morning, and just doing our sight seeing. Sandy loves to fly with me and the Cessna is a joy we share.

We are trying to make Branson fit our schedule this year. Even though I am now retired and SAY that I have nothing to do and all day to do it, but nothing could be further from the truth. In reality, I really don’t know how I ever had time to work.

Anyway I hope to rekindle some old friendships and acquaintances here and make a few new ones, participate in the forum as well as maybe meet up with some of you at some events. My experiences with this organization in the past we’re all good, so I am very happy to have circled around for another stop.
Last edited by 8452 on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Bible

Returned to the club after three years away due to life’s changes
1948 Cessna 140, O200A, Ragwing, Custom IFR Panel
1966 Mooney M20F/J
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Re: (Re) Introduction

Post by 2066 »

Welcome "home", Larry! Life is so precious and life is good -- your own recent life's paths underline that, no doubt. Thanks for wading back in and thanks for sharing the updates! And, wow, it sure seems that y'all are enjoying some of the neatest parts of fun flying with both the 140 and the Mooney...yep, precious and fun times for sure. Keep us "posted" (literally) and here's hoping you can carve out time from busy "retirement" to make Branson. Mac
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

8452 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:12 amIn reality, I really don’t know how I ever had time to work.
My father used to tell me that. I never believed him, until recently...

Welcome (back).
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Larry,

So very nice to hear from you. I do recall meeting you at both conventions and I do remember hearing of your wife's passing.

I'm glad you're still flying and have taken the time to get back in touch with everyone.

I hope to see you in Branson.
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

Hello Larry! I remember meeting you at the Tullahouma convention. Glad you're back!