Prebuy questions

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Daniel
Aircraft Type: Formerly a 120
Occupation-Interests:

Prebuy questions

Post by 8451 »

Hello all,

I'm looking at a '46 120 and am wondering if there is a compiled list of things to look for as a non-mechanic.

Expanding on this, I know these planes are relatively simple, how critical is a prebuy on these (especially considering they aren't often expensive planes).

The plane I'm looking at near Dothan AL, could anyone recommend a mechanic near there for a prebuy?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but I know this is the right place to ask.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Prebuy questions

Post by 6643 »

You should definitely get someone who is familiar with the type give it a thorough going over. A tiny crack in the wrong place can make the difference between an airworthy plane and a long term project.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

If you're still in the market, absolutely get a pre-buy.

Wayyyyyyyy too many new owners purchase an airplane in the $18K to $70K range without a pre-buy only to find out their first annual is 20-60% of the purchase price. We have two in the hangar right now.

I'm not aware of anyone near Dothan but if you're still looking we can see if we can't find someone.

A good pre-buy can be worth..................the price of the airplane.
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

"Talking out of school" :) but check the location of Dothan AL and the FL panhandle.
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8451 »

Thanks for the insight so far, everyone.

I saw and flew the plane yesterday and have moved forward to the point of putting it into prebuy. I’m working the logistics of it but I have some calls out to people in the area who are on the association’s mechanics list. Since I’m traveling to see the plane anyway making an intermediate stop to pick up an IA isn’t a huge deal and has certainly expanded my options.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

4004 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:56 pm "Talking out of school" :) but check the location of Dothan AL and the FL panhandle.

Ah, that may be an option, there are mechanic options in the FL panhandle.
Name: Chris B
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7757 »

I know it is time consuming, but get MULTIPLE referrals for the mechanic who will conduct your pre-buy. My pre-buy mechanic failed me. To Victor G's point, I think my first annual cost me 200% of the purchase price of my airplane. To this day, I have not added it all up, because I don't want to know the truth...

And again, time consuming, but go through all of the logbooks in as much detail as you can. Periods of inactivity could mean the plane was severely damaged and it sat until someone decided to fix it just barely enough to get it flying and sell it off. (part of what I think happened to my plane...)

Make sure you inspect the aft bulkhead for AD 47-50-02 and the tailwheel bracket very carefully. That is where my troubles started. The bulkhead had two cracks: one 4 inches long, the other over an inch long. And the tailwheel bracket had been cracked and "repaired," but was still very crooked. That's where we started pulling on the thread and the proverbial sweater started to unravel...

I don't mean to scare you off. But if you don't want a project plane, then you have to be patient. I was in a hurry to buy a plane and I ended up buying a project that I hadn't planned for.

But to end on a positive note...with the help of my mechanic (a very good one, not the one who did my pre-buy), we fixed the issues we found. I managed to absorb the costs. And now I have a plane that is in great shape and that I love dearly. But hopefully you can find an easier path...

Good luck. And remember: "Patience, Grasshopper..."
Chris B.
1946 C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8451 »

Chris,

Your point about getting referrals for a mechanic is quite salient. It seems easy to trust based on a certificate and a persons claimed expertise but I have seen a share of horror stories both here and on other forums.

With all that said, one of the mechanics I’ve been speaking to is Earl Evans in Butler, GA. Can anyone speak to his reputation?
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

8451 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:28 pm Chris,

Your point about getting referrals for a mechanic is quite salient. It seems easy to trust based on a certificate and a persons claimed expertise but I have seen a share of horror stories both here and on other forums.

With all that said, one of the mechanics I’ve been speaking to is Earl Evans in Butler, GA. Can anyone speak to his reputation?
Yes, indeed -- While not regularly in touch over the past few years, I've known Earl since we were both referred to as "young pilots interested in old airplanes" (...a "few" years ago ;) ). We met when we were members of the old (very!) Stone Mountain Airport, GA EAA chapter. From an experience and expertise standpoint, he has re-built some truly basket case 120/140s and repaired/restored several others over the years. ...best I recall, his biz "Ragwings and Rivets" (...think I've got that right) pretty much describes his focus. And, from an integrity standpoint, he brings a refreshing combination of honesty, skill and common sense. A genuinely nice guy, too. Yep, I'd be very comfortable having Earl handle a pre-buy for me and am comfortable in recommending. Mac