Removing Glue

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Steve D
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Removing Glue

Post by 8429 »

Sold the engine and prop but my Wife and I decided to keep the Cessna 140 air frame and restore it. Will take us probably 18 months to complete the restoration and when finished will probably hang a O-200 on it. Removed the headliner today and the interior cabin is completely corrosion free but covered in glue. I started trying to remove it with first acetone and then mineral spirits....there has to be a better way.............My wife and I finished up our Sparrow Hawk restoration a couple of months ago and have been looking for another light two place to restore. Looks like the C-140 will fill the bill nicely. When I bought the plane I had no idea how nice it would turn out to be with no corrosion and no hail damage. Perfect candidate for restoration. The aft gearbox bulkhead will take me around two weeks to repair and all along we will be working on cleaning up the air frame and taking care of all the small repairs and items that need attention.....................We have restored a number of aircraft and are looking forward to doing this one. Here are some photos of the interior sheet metal with the headliner removed and also a link to our Sparrow Hawk we just finished. The Sparrow Hawk cruises at 110 knots an climbs at 1,000 FPM.

Sparrow Hawk Photos:
https://stevedunn.smugmug.com/Sparrow-Hawk/

Interior photos C-140

Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Removing Glue

Post by 6643 »

Steve:
I'm glad to hear you have decided to restore the airframe. While I probably would have taken a different tack on the engine, I guess now you have some free cash to work with on the airframe.

We have a resident expert on interiors and hopefully they will chime in, but the first thing I'd try is a product called "Goo Gone." I've used it on other projects with good results. In case that doesn't work, Brakleen seems to work on a lot of the stuff Goo-gone won't touch. You'll need a fan and a mask, though... Citri-strip might work, too, but it'll also take any paint off as well.

You might want to consider starting a thread devoted to the restoration and keep a running "blog" going there. I can change the subject line on this thread for you if you want this to be the start, and also move it to the correct forum.
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

MEK works, but it's nasty stuff, and you need plenty of ventilation plus protection against your bare skin. It will remove the old glue, but it may take several applications. Please don't let your wife touch any MEK she's too good to be around that stuff, but you'll do okay.

John mentioned using some paint stripper, and I have to agree. Try some of that stuff you've used to see if it cuts it.
Name: Ramp Rat
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Semi-Retired A&P

Post by 5099 »

6183 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:31 pm MEK works, but it's nasty stuff, and you need plenty of ventilation plus protection against your bare skin. It will remove the old glue, but it may take several applications. Please don't let your wife touch any MEK she's too good to be around that stuff, but you'll do okay.

John mentioned using some paint stripper, and I have to agree. Try some of that stuff you've used to see if it cuts it.
I don’t understand the MEK problem. I’ve used MEK for years. Even inside large aircraft fuel tanks cleaning for new sealant. MEK hasn’t bothered me None, None, None . . . . . None! I’m just Fine, Fine, Fine.
Is there an echo on this message board? ;)
America, Love it or Leave IT!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Goo-Gone and Citristrip are fairly benign. I'd try them first.
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

5099 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:53 pm
6183 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:31 pm MEK works, but it's nasty stuff, and you need plenty of ventilation plus protection against your bare skin. It will remove the old glue, but it may take several applications. Please don't let your wife touch any MEK she's too good to be around that stuff, but you'll do okay.

I don’t understand the MEK problem. I’ve used MEK for years. Even inside large aircraft fuel tanks cleaning for new sealant. MEK hasn’t bothered me None, None, None . . . . . None! I’m just Fine, Fine, Fine.
Is there an echo on this message board? ;)
Congratulations. Got any ideas he can use to remove old glue?
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8429 »

Thanks Guy's. I have started keeping a record of the restoration in our "Cessna 150/152 Restorations, Modifications and STC Group" we have so many tail dragger 150s and really old straight tails they have a lot in common with the 140's. Anyone owning a 120/140 especially doing a restoration is welcome to join us , Randy Thompson is already there and helps out a lot. After all the C-120/140 is where it all started. Some of the members own a 140 and a 150.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2195722200708721/
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

I used some General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner a few days ago and it worked well with a fine scotch brite pad. It was an old can I had on the shelf, but worked. Part No. 051135-08987. Not sure if it is still available.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8429 »

John Cooper we ended up keeping the original C-85 and we think the plane will be back in the air in about six months. Other than the aft gear box bulkhead most of the other stuff is minor. My IA is doing the missing 337 and STC for the newly covered wings this week. The exterior cleaning is coming along slowly, time consuming. I am glad it is not a Airstream Trailer from the 1950's. :)