Aviation addiction I have

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Richard R
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Aviation addiction I have

Post by 7847 »

All: yup, I have been addicted to aviation since grade school when my Hump pilot uncle gave me an airplane ride in his DGA15. Noisy, but I was hooked! I soloed in 1955, in a PT19, not knowing I needed instruction and suitable preparation while working a s flag man for an Ag operator in Derby (formerly ElPaso KS until our mail was sent to TX). Hamilton Field was a grass strip that once was a farm; I recall this PT19 was one of five with three flyable. I bought one for $200 American in 1955 and sold it for $300 in 1956 when we moved to Sacramento.
Since I joined CAP as a Cadet in 1955, I continued that volunteer activity in California and rose to be a Major and Adjutant for a summer camp at Mather AFB. Meanwhile I flew SAR missions in the Sierras in L4, L5, and L16 CAP airplanes and eventually a T34 as an observer. (Note: Cadets are forbidden on CAP SAR today-?) - bureaucrats. I joined our Air Force in 1960 to avoid being drafted. I had spent a ROTC summer camp @ Camp San Luis Obispo and decided the Army wasn’t my choice of military service! I became a Loadmaster in 1965 and spent 7 years flying into Vietnam and other exotic places in South East Asia and as a Rservist? So much for avoiding the draft as we were shot at and even experienced a mortar attack in Saigon and similar enemy activity @ Cam Rhan Bay. I obtained my commercial pilot license in 1970 and often was asked if I wanted to fly when our autopilot failed. Many hours of overwater flying but in a 4-engine military airplane. Tough duty but led to my future flying in police work and the FAA.
When the air unit was formed @ Sacramento County Sheriff I was selected as an observer but shortly obtained my commercial helicopter rating and flew 5 years - best police position I could have! Meanwhile I had obtained my CFII, flew 135, and also flew with DEA in joint operations. Becoming tired of working nights, weekends, and numerous Military TDY, I obtained an FAA position as an aviation safety inspector and conducted several initial and recurring flight evaluations, a.k.a., ‘check rides’, and doing accident investigations. I saved auto rotation demonstration for initial Helicopter pilots until the last area to be evaluated for obvious reasons.
I was recalled to ADY with our Air Force as one of 42 Major Air Command Senior Enlisted advisors in 1986, the pinnacle of my Air Force career to enhance life, promotions, better opportunities and overall represent 82,000 enlisted members of the Air Force Reserve. I also reported to two different Secretaries of the Air Force and reporting to the Secretary of Defense as one of 7 Senior Enlisteds representing 1.2 million reservists of all services.
Leaving Active duty and returning to the FAA, I worked @ 800 Independence in DC, and became the FAA representative for all rotorcraft matters representing the Adminstrator including approving the XV15 Landing at the US Capitol and flying the Boeing V22 simulator. I gained a type rating in the Citation 650 while researching wind shear for turbine powered airplanes. I retired from the FAA as the Stan/Eval manager for all FAA flight programs and went gained employment with Flight Safety in Turbine Commanders and the Cessna Citation VII and 560XL.
Meanwhile, I taught part Time as a professor in aviation for over 25 years culminating at Southeastern Oklahoma State University as a full time assistant professor. I previously taught for Embry Riddle, UC Santa Barbara and other schools to pass on whatever experiences I might share. I preferred Human Factors as that is primarily the cause for most aviation accidents.

We retired in 2010 and moved to Florida due to my wife’s health and bout with her first cancer. We enjoyed 8 years of RV travel all over the USA including a trip to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome NY. If you haven’t been, all aviation enthusiasts must! I recently lost my copilot of 35 years to her third bout with cancer as she’s off doing God’s work somewhere. I currently own and operate a Cessna 120 and a Meyers OTW and have owned a 195, F24, 182, PA34,etc. I have made two trips to Alaska, the first in a 172 and the last in my 182.

I hope this hasn’t bored many so will say, adios and fly safe

P.s.: I was a partner in DNR aviation @47K until retiring to the Florida panhandle where I now a member of the Black Ducks flying club and based @ FD93, Yellowriver airport.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Aviation addiction I have

Post by 8224 »

Good reading!!! Thanks for your service to our country.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

What an interesting, exciting and important "career path"! Thanks for sharing what's clearly an enthusiastic living of this "addiction" we all seem to share, Richard. Coincidentally, I believe that you and I talked and exchanged a few emails back when you were getting into your 120 -- I recall then that your expertise and honor seemed to shine through in just normal communication and conversation. Too, having known three of the immediate past stewards of that beautiful 120 (the last having been a very dear and special friend), I'm confident that their spirits are riding along with you every time you take to air. I can guarantee that each of them loved flying that beautiful aircraft as I'm sure you do. Heartfelt condolences to you on the loss of your life's Partner, Richard -- may the memories continue to provide real comfort. Please relay our best regards to old friend Tom Julian there @ Yellow River (We're flying with "Julian wings, a Julian engine and Julian-installed avionics", incidentally), Doc Williams, Mike Smith and the rest of our 120/140 Panhandle "family". And, thanks again for sharing an incredibly interesting story -- this is a great place to "talk the addiction" ;) . Keep in touch. Mac
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

Mac,

Richard bought Bob Ray's old hanger next to Tom's at Yellow River.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

6183 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:07 pm Mac,

Richard bought Bob Ray's old hanger next to Tom's at Yellow River.
Thanks, Mike! I'd recalled that Richard was flying either out of Baker or Yellow River but didn't recall which. What a great runway for both the 120 and that nifty OTW, I know we agree. Great folks and great airplanes -- it doesn't get any better! Mac
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Great story, thank you for sharing.
Name: Richard D
Aircraft Type: 140A
Occupation-Interests: Tin Driver

Post by 8428 »

Thank You for Your service to our country !!!!

What a wonderful story.

My condolences for your loss.

Aviation is a Great Addiction to have !!!!