Stratux SD Card

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Gene A
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Stratux SD Card

Post by 6558 »

Had my Stratux (ux, not us) for less than a year and the wifi doesn't work. Supposed to be able to reflash the SD card, but after hours of frustration on the computer All I have is a headache and nothing is fixed. Anyone else have this problem? I can find SD cards online for the Stratux but they are 2gb and the card I took out is 16gb plus I don't know what version I have.
I am not happy with this thing and there is NO way to contact Stratux for support and their 'chat' is inaccessible.
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Re: Stratux SD Card

Post by 8233 »

This is the quickest way to get a question answered:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/

The guys you develop Stratux have said in the past that cards larger than 8gb seem to have more issues. The Raspberry PI uses a Micro SD card. This is one I use in mine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W ... UTF8&psc=1

Sometimes those cards do fail so I always have a couple. There isn't any advantage of having a larger card for Stratux so you can actually get cheaper/smaller capacity cards and have a spare or 2 handy. I keep one spare with an image loaded in my flight bag just in case.

Good luck!
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120
Name: Franklin B
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 4390 »

I bought a used one with GPS and the first thing I did was copy the card to my computer in the event the card goes bad. The guy told me if I don't shut down the Stratux with the app the card might erase itself. Mine is a 16gb card but the files on it add up to 20mb.

Post by 8233 »

Shutting down has been a subject of a lot of debate. The author claims it doesn’t matter but it never hurts. The image is also easily downloaded online and a card can be rebuilt in a few minutes.
David Freeland - CFII
Name: Larry Lowenkron
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140A
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8175 »

How do you shut it down in the app? I am using Fltplan Go on an Ipad Air (1). I turn it off by disconnecting the battery.
Thanks!
Larry
Name: Franklin B
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 4390 »

You shut off the Stratux through the Stratux app. The app has all the utilities and monitors.
Name: Bruce Mayfield
Aircraft Type: C140 1946
Occupation-Interests: Pharmacist RV 4 Builder,

Post by 7790 »

Had the same problem last year. Downloaded the software and flashed it to the 8 gb card that has been in for 3 years.
Worked again. I try to stop the device with the Stratux app most of the time.
Those cards can wearout with time. I remember something about 8 gb cards are what this device require. I have a Garmin gps that will not use any larger.
Still trying to get the fan control and ahrs to work on avare.
The instructions on the web site are ok to follow. Some times have had to start all over after a break from trying. You tube is a good source to get it done.
If all else fails, send me a card and I will flash it for you.
ML
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

I'm not sure as this is relevant here, but in the off hand chance..........maybe it will help.

One very difficult to diagnose issue with "older" software is the size of the SD card. We had a older Diamond DA40 in the shop within the last 2-3 months and no one from Garmin or Jepp tech support could help the owner get his nav data downloaded. It simply wouldn't "take", or didn't recognize the card.

Finally found a knowledgeable person at an avionics shop across the state that asked "what size card we were using?". Well, 8gb like it says "we're supposed to".....

"Oh, no he responded, that old system won't recognize a card above 2gb".

Put the info on a 2gb card............and......

Darned if it didn't work.

Post by 8233 »

I just noticed that the preloaded Stratux card they sell is on a 2GB card. The plot thickens...
David Freeland - CFII
Name: Gene A
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6558 »

Well, I finally got into 'slack' the stratux 'chat' site and all I could find was a miles long continuous thread by what appeared to be 3-4 tech geeks talking to each other. No help there! No way to contact stratux! no tech support!
Amazon has the mini SD cards but there appears to be more than one format and I do not know if it makes a difference.
ML did offer to reflash my card and that is an option but by the time I get it back I will be about ready to leave the Phoenix area and wont be back till fall.
Still pissed at Stratux! About ready to take a big hammer and reduce it to a pile of little pieces!