Another prospective C-140 buyer

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Michael R
Aircraft Type: 46 140 0-200
Occupation-Interests: Retired!

Re: Another prospective C-140 buyer

Post by 6352 »

I have a 140 with metal wings and 0-200. The flaps are speed brakes mostly, useful sometimes when I screw up the speed on final but not necessary really. My metal wing add about 60-70 pounds to the aircraft weight, and subtract from useful load. The plane slips well below 70 mph and I seldom use the flaps as slipping is more fun and flexible. For best performance, i think the ideal would be a light 120, fabric wings, and a strong 0-200. Bigger engines are great but take away useful load and range. I would avoid metal wings and 85 horse planes if you live at altitude as I do (no offense intended to flatlanders). At low elevation, 85 horse light planes (fabric wings) are great as the 85 is a fine, economical engine. Parts could be an issue with an 85 but with a low time engine and and old pilot, not. I was initially worried about fabric wings and longevity but eventually realized that decent fabric would likely outlast me... good luck; I love my 140 and think it is a great plane for fun and economy. We can’t all afford carbon cubs.
Mike Rabe
C140
KDVT
Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: Looking for one...
Occupation-Interests: Airline Pilot

Re: Another prospective C-140 buyer

Post by 8411 »

Thanks so much for all of your input guys! Confirms a lot of what my impressions were in doing my research thus far. The plane will be hangared and I'm not too worried about fabric as long as it is currently in good condition. I appreciate the input regarding flaps. I've seen a couple 120's advertised that look like potential contenders and I wanted some input as to the value of flaps since I don't want to wish I bought a plane with them instead of without.

Really appreciate the advice you guys are providing!!

Chris