'LED instrument lights

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
VIP227
Name: Wolfgang S
Aircraft Type: C-140, C-150B
Occupation-Interests: Retired

'LED instrument lights

Post by VIP227 »

You are right these LED lights are odd in a vintage airplane! Anyway, my panel is not original and has a different layout so the original cover is gone, too. I reckon that most panels have been modified (many butchered) and the covers have shared that fate. Without that cover I don't have instrument lights. My airplane has been foreign registered and documentation in early years has not been as stringent as we need it today. Since the original aircraft had instrument lights I don't think I'd get it signed off by a DAR as it is.
I don't want to install something awkward so my idea is to install one of these new LED systems (Fiberlite or NULITE) since these would be underneath the panel and not be seen on the first glance. The Fiberlite system comes with an STC for the C-150 series and it should be not too difficult to get it certified in a C-140.
Is there anyone who has experience with that system in his/her 140?