LSA Weight Limit Increase?

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Ramp Rat
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Semi-Retired A&P

LSA Weight Limit Increase?

Post by 5099 »

Rumor has it that on January 19th there will be a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (if the Government is back up and running by then) to increase the LSA weight limit to 3200 lbs. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Steve.
America, Love it or Leave IT!
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Re: LSA Weight Limit Increase?

Post by V529 »

I've seen the discussion tossed around in AOPA and EAA periodicals..........nothing firm yet. I'd call my pal at the FSDO and ask him, but ..............he's temporarily laid off............. :o ....something about the gov't not having any dough.
Name: Chuck
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired. Comm ASMEL, Istrument, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P/IA, Flight Engineer.

Post by 1307 »

Victor, did the IRS stop taking money from your paycheck? The gov't has plenty of money. But the legislation authorizing them to spend it expired. Needs a new piece of legislation.
V529
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Hmmm,

Good reminder, I'll see the "man" this week.........finally and ask him if he knows anything.
V529

Post by V529 »

Sorry it took so long to respond. I had a great time interacting with numerous FAA folks at a recent IA seminar. None of them had heard anything about a weight gain for the LSA. Almost to a person they responded with, "since the Basic Med, I doubt anything more will be done with LSA to expand the envelope".
Name: Tamer A
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120 O-290-D
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8359 »

My real interest in expanding LSA is to get more flexible maintenance/modification rules. Would be awesome to get a Light Sport Repairman Certificate and be able to do most of the work on my C120 along with having more options in avionics, etc.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

I doubt anything like that is on the horizon. The aircraft remains a certificated aircraft; it just qualifies to be flown by someone exercising light sport pilot privileges.