Barn Find 140

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Edward P
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Barn Find 140

Post by 8369 »

Hello everyone,
I have locate a Cessna 140 in good shape but there is no paper work. Tried to contact the owner with calls and letters with no answer at all. Is there anything else i can do?
thank you
Ed Printz
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Re: Barn Find 140

Post by 6183 »

Dumb question here Ed, is the airplane for sale or did you just see it in a barn, and wonder if it could be for sale? You can start by looking up the registration number (N# ) on the FAA web site (faa.gov) to see if the aircraft carries a current registration. If the registration has been cancelled then its a pretty good indication that there is a possibility that the owner may want to sell it. , but that's not a given. You mention that you've tried contacting the owner but haven't gotten any responses. Is the registered owner alive? If no and the aircraft is tied in up in probate, estate issues could be a long time in settling especially if there are other family members that have to sign on the dotted lines. Lastly, what is the condition of this barn find? Is it an aircraft that hasn't flown in the past 50 years? If so, that opens up some challenges.
Name: Edward P
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8369 »

Great information and help. Yes the FAA registration is canceled and have tried to contact the registration owner per the FAA. Have gotten no were. The aircraft is in good shape, hasn't flown in at least 15 years. I was thinking of trying to find next of kin but haven't found any yet. It was just parked in an old airfield shed and left there.
Thanks again
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

This could be a great find or a great disappointment. For example, several years ago this web site followed a similar situation whereby a gent was able to purchase a barn find that had been stored since the 1960's (my fellow moderator and friend Victor Grahn did the test flight).

What about information from the airport management? Do they know anything about the history of the owner and his/her whereabouts? You might also check with the airport to find out how they deal with abandoned aircraft on their premises. If you're a member of AOPA you can call the pilot hotline and discuss the legal aspects of obtaining such an aircraft. I realize that I'm throwing a lot of darts out here, but you never know, you might get lucky.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Having been directly involved in something similar...many times over..........It all depends on what your "intention" is.

Are you attempting to locate and resurrect an airplane and get it back to flying status? If so, we're here to help, and love to see an airplane "brought back to the air".

If you're attempting to get a "deal". (find an airplane and get it back to flying status at less than market value) I've had a life time of purchasing old cars, trucks, tractors, airplanes and motorcycles. If cost is the number one consideration (or anything close to it) 18 times out of 20 you will pay more, sometimes much more for something that doesn't run/fly/drive/isn't registered etc than you would for one that does.

If you're looking for a "challenge".........then I suspect you've found one. A few times I've been ultimately rewarded by locating a rare (insert object, airplane, motorcycle etc) and being able to purchase it and bring it back to life. Occasionally, but rarely, I've come out money ahead.

I don't have any words of wisdom in locating the current owner of this aircraft, you'll need to do some sleuthing or knocking on doors it sounds like. My guess is somewhere, someone will have the key to find the owner. Start at the airport. Old timers typically are talkative and probably know something about it.