Slips with Flaps in the 140

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

Slips with Flaps in the 140

Post by 8322 »

In the 172 I was always warned about slips with flaps. I don't find anything on that in our owners manual but I also realize its also not quite like a more modern POH too. What are you experienced 140 drivers opinion on best configuration to learn the transition from training wheel flying to tail wheel flying: Just flaps, slipping with flaps, just slipping if need be?

Ray
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Slips with Flaps in the 140

Post by 7077 »

I don’t do slips with flaps extended I feel it may create a unwanted situation that may turn ugly but that’s just my preference I am sure there are others who their own opinions and that is ok with me
Name: Chris Hardee
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Airline pilot

Post by 8056 »

The issue with slipping a 172 with flaps is the larger flaps, especially those with 40 degrees, possibly blocking airflow over the horizontal stab. I only slip the 140 when needed, but have done so using flaps plenty of times. There really isn't an issue with our small plain flaps.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

I used to own a private strip in the hills with trees on both ends. I would approach level 50' above the trees, and when I had cleared them I put in full flaps and full right rudder and maintained the "center line" with the ailerons. I could get down and stopped in about 500 feet.

Post by 8322 »

So at the end of the day, using both is very doable in our bird if need be it sounds like...I'll go up and put her in slow flight and try different configurations.

TW training starts this week for me, so very anxious and thinking about all this type of stuff. I went and got a wedge pillow for my back, I don't feel close enough to the rudders on the bench seat. I'm a whopping 5'8" and I have always liked sitting up really tight in planes... I was struggling in training for my PPL to land, I went with a different instructor (who now is my instructor) and he said "I can have you landing 10 fold better next try without teaching you a thing with technique, you have your seat as if you were driving a car with the brake and gas peddle, slide up closer." I said "that feels awkwardly close" and he said "they are rudder pedals not gas and brake, try it" I've since always sat "awkwardly" close and now it feels weird if I'm not right on top of em..

So anxious, went down tonight and polished the spinner just to hang out with her...

Post by 6643 »

8322 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:33 pmI went and got a wedge pillow for my back, I don't feel close enough to the rudders on the bench seat. I'm a whopping 5'8" and I have always liked sitting up really tight in planes...
Do you know that the seat back has 3 positions, both top and bottom? I'm 5'8 also, and we're both giants by 1946 standards. Anyhow, I don't have any problem sitting close enough.

Post by 8322 »

6643 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:17 pm
8322 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:33 pmI went and got a wedge pillow for my back, I don't feel close enough to the rudders on the bench seat. I'm a whopping 5'8" and I have always liked sitting up really tight in planes...
Do you know that the seat back has 3 positions, both top and bottom? I'm 5'8 also, and we're both giants by 1946 standards. Anyhow, I don't have any problem sitting close enough.
I didnt realize it does on the bottom, i will have to check that out! Thanks. I too thought we were average plus for the guys our planes were built for, good reason for an airport visit! TW training delayed with nasty Wx coming in, and if it sticks (snow) gunna screw us up good being my instructor feeling we need to start on grass... Uggh, at Wx not him.
Last edited by 8322 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 6643 »

Unlatch the top of the seat and fold it forward. At the bottom pilot's side corner on the back is a spring loaded sliding pin, sort of like a gate latch. Slide it to the center of the plane and the pin disengages from the lower bracket. Pivot the seat out of the bracket, then pull the whole seat toward you to disengage the opposite side pin. There are 3 holes in each bracket for adjustment.

Post by 8322 »

6643 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:21 pm Unlatch the top of the seat and fold it forward. At the bottom pilot's side corner on the back is a spring loaded sliding pin, sort of like a gate latch. Slide it to the center of the plane and the pin disengages from the lower bracket. Pivot the seat out of the bracket, then pull the whole seat toward you to disengage the opposite side pin. There are 3 holes in each bracket for adjustment.
Really appreciate it John! I'll go check it out tomorrow. Doesn't look like we can train this week so gotta go say "hi"... The turf is under snow the pavement is too icy my instructor says to start TW training... uggh... I have a good guess its as far back as it can go... I'll let you know.

Ray
Name: John von Linsowe
Aircraft Type: 48 C-140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5806 »

Slips in the 140 with full flaps does not blank the tail surfaces like the 172 does. I have slipped 172's with full flaps and felt the blanking, it's manageable but they say don't do it. I have done cross controlled slow flight and stalls in the 140 with full flaps and perhaps have felt some burble on the tail but like John C mentioned, full slip landings with flaps are pretty standard for some of us. The slip is more effective than the flaps anyway.

Raymond, tell your instructor there are other big, fat runways in the area without ice and snow. Finding grass may be about 6 months away! ;)
John