The Journey Begins!

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

Re: The Journey Begins!

Post by 8322 »

Sorry not sure how to rotate the pics
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

8322 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:20 pm Sorry not sure how to rotate the pics
Too bad we don't have a "rotate photo" tool in the moderator's toolbox...

Sometimes you can rotate them with a photo editor, save then and repost them. Once in a while I've seen that not work, for some mysterious reason...
Name: Drew
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests: Construction Consultant
RAF - CT State Liaison (theRAF.org)

Post by 8349 »

Awesome, has to be an amazing feeling to pilot your own aircraft for the first time. Like you, I am in a club (well equipped 172P and Archer II) so I will buy for fun (hopefully a 120 or 140/140A, maybe 150) and stay in the club for the practical planes should I need to go somewhere further and/or faster or take others up with me (at 250lbs, I know I will be limited in a 120/140/150, which I am fine with).

Congratulations on the purchase, looking forward to seeing some photos of that thing at fly-ins. Check into the Recreational Aviation Foundation - as they heavily support flying for the fun of it, and typically organize some fun events - perfect for a bird like this!
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

Post by 8322 »

8349 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:37 am Awesome, has to be an amazing feeling to pilot your own aircraft for the first time. Like you, I am in a club (well equipped 172P and Archer II) so I will buy for fun (hopefully a 120 or 140/140A, maybe 150) and stay in the club for the practical planes should I need to go somewhere further and/or faster or take others up with me (at 250lbs, I know I will be limited in a 120/140/150, which I am fine with).

Congratulations on the purchase, looking forward to seeing some photos of that thing at fly-ins. Check into the Recreational Aviation Foundation - as they heavily support flying for the fun of it, and typically organize some fun events - perfect for a bird like this!
I will check them out! Good luck on your search!

I’m biased now of course but that 140 flies nicer than a 150/2 or 172. I got two take offs and landing in now in my TW training, would have got more but needed to knock off sone rust in slow flight and slip practicing and such first hopefully more today.

I found landing it easier than the tricycle Cessnas... yes you have the TW to make being on your toes (or should I say balls of your feet, not toes!) all the more important, BUT the control authority was far superior to the other cessnas I’ve flown in brining it down to the flare and planting her on the ground. Holding her off to bleed off any airspeed needed felt very natural. I didn’t find directional control daunting. I can tell it definitely takes more attention than a tricycle, not saying it doesn’t, but not difficult per say. So in my smitten bias find a 120 or 140...

Very interesting we have both set ourselves up in same set up w a club and a fun one of our own or soon to be for you- kinda best of both worlds. Though I’m going to see if I go 6 or 8 months and don’t use the club plane I’ll probably sell my share- we will see. The dues aren’t much but if I don’t use it- they do total up to basically be an annual.

Ray