Wheel landings

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Wheel landings

Post by 7985 »

Does anybody have advice on the technique for making a wheel landing with a Cessna 140?
Name: Larry Lowenkron
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140A
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Wheel landings

Post by 8175 »

I'm sure you'll get a million answers, 'cause everyone probably has their own "best" way. I find that if I have a little nose down trim when I level out, it just sticks on if I relax(BUT NOT LET GO) the yolk. I have a 140A and use full flaps. I'll be interested to see how others like to do it.
Larry Lowenkron
Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Blasting people into the sky with rockets.

Post by 8170 »

No flaps 75mph over the fence carrying about 1400rpm. Step it down to contact then slight forward pressure on the yoke. I slowly reduce power and ease the yoke back to plant the tail wheel.
"Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem"
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 2080 »

I find it easiest for me to fly it as if I was going to make a full stall 3 point landing. 60-65 mph flaps or no flaps. As the main wheels start to tickle the grass, simply move the yoke forward slightly and hold the plane on the ground. Don’t pin the yoke to the instrument panel, just ease it forward. Try that!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

I can't explain it... ;)
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

2080 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:18 pm I find it easiest for me to fly it as if I was going to make a full stall 3 point landing. 60-65 mph flaps or no flaps. As the main wheels start to tickle the grass, simply move the yoke forward slightly and hold the plane on the ground. Don’t pin the yoke to the instrument panel, just ease it forward. Try that!
Yes.
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

Hi.

The trick to a good wheel landing is make sure to control your rate of descent as you approach the point of touchdown. If your descent rate is too high, you will bounce.

I use 65-70 mph over the numbers for a wheel landing and will often carry a tiny bit of power all the way to touchdown as long as the runway is long enough. Remember....in a wheel landing you are actually flying the plane all the way to the ground then killing lift by reducing the angle of attack by pushing forward on the yoke when the mains touch.

When the mains do touch, push forward enough to maintain a level attitude during rollout. Keep the tail up and STAY ON THE RUDDER as it becomes less effective as you slow up. Keep the tail up until you have slowed enough to bring the tail down without the airplane lifting off the ground.

Once you have brought the tail down, (bring it down when ready, don’t let it fall), hold the elevator all the way back. Keep your heels on the floor and stay off the brakes until the tail is down.

Don’t wimp out on the push or you can get into that nasty mains to tailwheel bouncing thing. Don’t go nuts either.

The 120/140’s have great prop clearance and handle wheel landings very well.

Hope hat helps.

Mike
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Wheel landings - counterpoint

Post by 6643 »

6930 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:31 pmThe trick to a good wheel landing is make sure to control your rate of descent as you approach the point of touchdown. If your descent rate is too high, you will bounce.
Just a little more info: Most hangar pilots blame the bounce on the spring gear. For the most part, they are wrong. The bounce is really the lift off of your next (short) flight. When the mains touch down the CG (behind the mains) continues down, increasing the angle of attack and causing the plane to lift off again. Wash, rinse, repeat... This is why the push is important: to keep the tail from dropping and the AOA increasing.
STAY ON THE RUDDER as it becomes less effective as you slow up.
And, there's no tailwheel on the ground to help steer!
Keep your heels on the floor and stay off the brakes until the tail is down.
This is good advise until you become accomplished at it, but I found you can do some pretty heavy braking, especially on grass, as long as you're on top of things. You have to work the elevator to maintain a level attitude, but you actually have more weight on the mains than in a three point attitude.
The 120/140’s have great prop clearance and handle wheel landings very well.
Yes, as long as you can see the horizon through the windscreen a 71" prop will not touch the ground. (Don't ask me how I know this...)
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7263 »

Fly with someone who is proficient in wheel landings.
Rent an instructor proficient in wheel landings.
Practice, practice, practice.
Name: John Kliewer
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Post by 6863 »

This is in my Cessna 120, no flaps of course, 55 mph indicated over the "numbers", moderate braking, 450 feet of a 900 foot airstrip used. Wheel landings allow you to plant the wheels where you want them and also allow aggressive braking as long as you balance braking with aft elevator while still keeping lots of weight on the mains to avoid skidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BSeryLo6usa

John
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."