Experimental exhibition category, worth it?

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Devin F
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Experimental exhibition category, worth it?

Post by 8238 »

Been toying with the idea of purchasing a 120/140 and putting a Conti IO-240 in it. Problem is no STC exists so that means you would have to pay for an FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) to engineer one which takes time and an unknown amount of money.

Then there is the cost of the engine. Since no STC exists Continental will not let you exchange a c-85, c-90 or O-200 for a core charge. And in case you are wondering, a certified io-240 runs just under $50k US from Conti :(

However, a remanufactured non certified with all new internals can be had for 25k new from them. Problem is, putting a non certified engine in means she will never be certified again which means you must stay in the Experimental Exhibition category. But, this does free you up a lot to do what you want going forward...

So my question is this: Does anyone here own or know somebody that owns an experimental exhibition? You read all sorts of things online. Some people saying it is so restrictive it isn't even worth considering and other people saying you just fly it like a normal plane and if anyone asks you are keeping flight proficiency which is technically never a lie...
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Experimental exhibition category, worth it?

Post by 8224 »

I had a Bucker Jungman built in Czheckosalvokia that was licensed experimental, exhibition that I sold last January. I flew it for 19 years and basically there was no restrictions. I just bought another Jungman that I am in the process of restoring. It was built in Spain and will be in the same category. My Cessna 140 project is on hold for a year while I get the Jungman flying.
Steve
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8238 »

8224 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:24 pm I had a Bucker Jungman built in Czheckosalvokia that was licensed experimental, exhibition that I sold last January. I flew it for 19 years and basically there was no restrictions. I just bought another Jungman that I am in the process of restoring. It was built in Spain and will be in the same category. My Cessna 140 project is on hold for a year while I get the Jungman flying.
Steve
Thank you for your input Steve. That is exactly what I am looking for, people who have done it!

So did you just submit a list of shows and events you might attend to the FAA every year to appease their requirements? And then say all your other flying was for proficiency?

For restrictions, were you allowed to fly in class B? Also, is it possible to get an EE plane IFR rated?

Lastly insurance. How do insurance companies look at EEs?
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

Look up David Lowe Aviation you might find your answer?
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8224 »

There were no restrictions of any kind on the airplane, only those of my limited flying qualifications. I never had to submit any kind of “ intent” to the FAA. I did not have a transponder so only flew into controlled fields when I had no other choice. A year ago I flew it from S.C. to the Bucker Fly In in Kalispell, Montana. 54 hours is a long time in the sun and wind.
Steve
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8238 »

Well after speaking with the FSDO and EAA today I have pretty much come to the conclusion that it isn't even worth it.

The main issue is that the FAA doesn't have to issue you an experimental approval, it is discretionary and you need a convincing reason. Me saying that I want to save money and do what I want to do with my plane probably isn't going to convince anyone and they will likely tell me to pound sand.

I hope somebody goes through the hassle of getting an STC for the IO-240 in the 120/140 because it would benefit the community greatly. Sadly, the cost is prohibitive for me :(

Looks like my best option is to buy one with an O-290 and find floats.